Rotary Cutter Help - ID this cutter!

/ Rotary Cutter Help - ID this cutter! #1  

Nick350

Tractor
Kubota L3301 / Ford 555E
So my parents got me a 6ft rotary cutter from their work that wasn't getting any use (laying in an old barn). I figured I would be able to run it behind my Kubota L3400 but after seeing pictures of it I am thinking it is far to heavy duty but the price was right. It also has this odd chain with a V shaped bar connecting the lower link mount points which you can see in the third photo, if anyone knows what this is I would like to know.

That is why I am turning to you great people, there are no identifying labels or anything that my father could find so I was hoping maybe one of you could tell me at least the manufacturer based on photos. Its a 6ft width cutter and larger then Cat I for the 3-point (I am guessing CAT II but could only measure my CAT I to tell its larger).

The goal is get a good weight and operating hp estimate for this bad boy so I can use it or sell/trade for a 5ft cutter. Its in Illinois and I dont want to make my family haul it down to Tennessee unless Im going to use it.

Thanks!!
IMG_2479-1.jpgIMG_2480-1.jpgIMG_2487.jpgIMG_2485.jpgIMG_2486.jpg

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Help - ID this cutter! #2  
Re: Rotary Cutter Help

Wow that's a dandy cutter! Many will tell you that you MUST have XXX PTO hp per foot of cutter width or you can't use it. Well, in the real world that's just not true. I run a 5 foot rotary with the old Farmall C 19 drawbar hp and probably less PTO hp and it works just fine. Can I mow in road gear, no, but as bumpy as my pastures are, it works just fine in 2nd gear on the second cutting. First cutting when the grass is very thick and lush, I have to run in first gear but it's not a big deal for me.

If it fits on your 3pt hitch and you can lift it, I'd run it for what you paid for it. Wider cut and lower ground speed or narrow cut and faster ground speed. For me I choose the former and when the grass is light you can bump the ground speed up to whatever you lower back and equipment can tolerate.

/ Rotary Cutter Help - ID this cutter! #3  

That does look like a really decent rotary cutter.

My concern would be the weight of the rotary cutter and having a balanced rig setup for operating it, and not the PTO HP operation. The L3400HST might be heavy enough. I do not think the B7100 is heavy enough. I have no clue about Kubota's 3 point hitch lift capacities.

/ Rotary Cutter Help - ID this cutter!

I am worried about the weight of it, trying to find its identity so I can figure out what it痴 weight is without have to send my dad to a weight station and have him estimate the trailer weight.

For my L3400 the manual calls for a maximum cutter weight of 800lbs and I do not trying to run something way to heavy.

/ Rotary Cutter Help - ID this cutter! #5  

I am worried about the weight of it, trying to find its identity so I can figure out what it痴 weight is without have to send my dad to a weight station and have him estimate the trailer weight.

For my L3400 the manual calls for a maximum cutter weight of 800lbs and I do not trying to run something way to heavy.

Just hook it up, if you can lift it , it's fine.

Actually all you need is to be able to lift the front.
Set limit chains on your 3pt arms to hold level and rear rides on the tail wheel.

For what you paid, you can run it until you find a buyer with enough money to get you a smaller one.

Trying to run it isn't going to hurt your tractor, if it is too big, it just won't work.

Well that痴 the issue, lifting it is not really an option it痴 in a different state.

I am trying to figure out if it痴 worth being driven down and switch to CAT I since the pin diameter is bigger or if I should just try to sell it and buy something I know fits.

/ Rotary Cutter Help - ID this cutter! #7  
Before I sold it I would put cat 1 pins on it, ballast the L3400, and give it a try. It's gonna cost you the time and a little $$$ to try. It might be too heavy. You can always sell it or get a bigger tractor. That is a nice heavy cutter. Don't know who made it.

71925F52-7859-41BE-8321-418D22FBC06C.jpeg
If anyone else reads this post, this is a safety warning right behind the gear box. It uses the word knives instead of blades which someone may recognize.