Tractor Sizing Rotary Cutter Sizing

/ Rotary Cutter Sizing #1  

Woodsman30350

Bronze Member
Tractor
Montana 3040
What is the idea size brush cutter for a Montana 3040? I was thinking 5' but would appreciate inputs.

/ Rotary Cutter Sizing #2  
What is the idea size brush cutter for a Montana 3040? I was thinking 5' but would appreciate inputs.

4-5 PTO hp per ft of cutter is what i generally use as a rule of thumb. It's conservative, i.e. you tend to size on the lower end. A 30 hp tractor would use a 6 ft wide rotary cutter.

Its' best to get one as wide as your power allows and hopefully as wide as the rear wheel track so you can cut the full width of the tractor in normal conditions (i.e. 2-3 ft high grass).

The other parameter you need to watch for is the weight of the cutter. There are some heavy duty 6 ft cutters that weigh in at 1100-1400 lbs and they might be difficult to handle on a light tractor.

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Sizing #3  
much to do with what is being cut. We have a mix of tall grasses/blue stem/fescue/Midland bermuda/dried red clover and other weeds. My nighbors 30 pto hp Kubota wouldn't turn my 6' 172 Rhino but in second gear low axle. He uses a 4' mower.

My previous tractor had 38 pto hp and would run 4th gear low axle at max rpm.

My current 50 hp (44 pto) has no probs in 2nd gear high axle at max pto speeds.

/ Rotary Cutter Sizing #4  
I know I'm repeating this from last year, but I run a 7260SC (6ft.) Montana rotary with my Montana 2740 with no issues as long as I leave the FEL on. I've found that as ground speed increases, the quality of the cut decreases, so I mow in 4th gear anyway. With R4s, tractor width is about 64 inches, so a 6 footer covers the tracks nicely.....Dan

Attachments

• Farm & tractor pics   New Montana mower 015 (Small).jpg
    Farm & tractor pics New Montana mower 015 (Small).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 727
   / Rotary Cutter Sizing #5  
i run a 4' squealer because i got a good deal on it with my 2840 i think i could easily turn a 5 footer if necessary.

/ Rotary Cutter Sizing #6  
Should be able to run a 5' bush hog no problem. Just get one that will cover your rear tire tracks.