Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650

/ Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650 #1  

Milo

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3520, Ferris Z2100, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX, Honda Pioneer 520
I have an old 60" rotary cutter with issues that was given to me with the property and rather than put money in it I think I'd rather buy a new one but I know very little about them. It will be primarily be used for mowing down some small fields once every Fall. I don't need heavy duty, probably just a light duty one, which should allow me to go with a 5' width, but I'd like a good quality one, one that does a better job of actual mowing as opposed to cutting 2" saplings. I'm not opposed to ordering one but available near by are a Kubota dealer (Landpride), Bush Hog, and Tractor Supply. Any suggestions what or what not to buy?

I should add a B2650 with an empty loader weighs about 2,000#, 26 hp gross and about 20 at the PTO.

Looking on Kubota/Landpride site it appears RCR1260 would work.....

Last edited:
   / Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650 #2  
I have a 4' Bush Hog brand that has served me well. A 5' would be nice sometimes for me but there has been situations where the 4' was all my tractor wanted. It really depends on how many acres you are mowing and how often you will mow.

I bought mine new 17 years ago and have never had an issue.

/ Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650
My understanding is Bush Hog makes nice really ones so I'll check them out. I really prefer a 5' one though, I pulled the old one I have which is a medium duty and probably too heavy for my tractor but a lighter duty one should be just right.

/ Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650 #4  
Bush Hog has their new line of rotary cutters starting in 2018, the BH200 series, that look really nice. The 60” BH215 weighs 655lbs and can cut up to 2” material.

Landpride and Woods also make excellent rotary cutters.

Thanks Tractorable I値l check out the BH200 series which is a bit heavier (50#) than a Land Pride I saw, but stronger because the LP was rated for 1 or maybe 1 1/2?

/ Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650 #6  
I have an old 60" rotary cutter with issues that was given to me with the property and rather than put money in it I think I'd rather buy a new one but I know very little about them. It will be primarily be used for mowing down some small fields once every Fall. I don't need heavy duty, probably just a light duty one, which should allow me to go with a 5' width, but I'd like a good quality one, one that does a better job of actual mowing as opposed to cutting 2" saplings. I'm not opposed to ordering one but available near by are a Kubota dealer (Landpride), Bush Hog, and Tractor Supply. Any suggestions what or what not to buy?

I should add a B2650 with an empty loader weighs about 2,000#, 26 hp gross and about 20 at the PTO.

Looking on Kubota/Landpride site it appears RCR1260 would work.....

20 HP at the PTO usually means a 4 foot cutter to run it and not bog down a lot

20 HP at the PTO usually means a 4 foot cutter to run it and not bog down a lot

Cathy yes I have heard the 5 hp per foot as a rule of thumb. What makes me feel I can run a 5' RC with 4 hp per foot just comes from the fact the 2650 didn't seem to want for more power running the old 5' medium duty cutter anywhere I used it. Bear in mind I run pretty slow and only use it to mow high weeds/grass/brush and I doubt ever a sapling over 1". While the 3-point hitch lifted it just fine I just felt it was a little heavy for my tractor even with the loader bucket partially filled with stone. I forget the brand it is now and actually never heard of it but an internet search brought up very little other than the brand has been gone for some time. My neighbor looked at it saying it was heavier built than his TSC cutter and guessed it weighed "a good 700 pounds". I'm thinking a lighter duty 5' (which'll cover the tractor's width) around 600# would work better for me than a medium duty 4' at about the same weight.
At this point I'm considering the BH215 that Tractorable mentioned as well as Landpride's RCR 1260 which is 480# or RCR 1860 at 600#.

/ Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650 #8  
Milo,

You definitely can use a 5' mower if you go slow and don't let the grass get to big. However, you might be able to mow more acres per hour with a 4' vs 5'. :thumbsup:

/ Rotary Cutter Suggestions For a B2650 #9  
The 1260 would be a good mower behind that tractor. It is the one we normally put behind that size tractor.

Milo,

You definitely can use a 5' mower if you go slow and don't let the grass get to big. However, you might be able to mow more acres per hour with a 4' vs 5'. :thumbsup:

I dunno, as slow as I need to go due to rough ground as well as having to trim around some trees and rock outcroppings I feel cutting only a 3 1/2 swath has to take longer than 4 1/2?

The 1260 would be a good mower behind that tractor. It is the one we normally put behind that size tractor.

Thanks Art, if you wouldn稚 recommend anything heavier l?ll cross off the 1860.