Rotella vs. Delvac

/ Rotella vs. Delvac #1  

Talstar

Tractor
Branson 4820
Regarding THF do you have a preference? Big price difference between the two at TSC.

/ Rotella vs. Delvac #3  
I used Mobilfluid 424 (which has since been renamed to Delvac) in my 3725 and it worked fine. I would have used it for my last change but TSC wasn't carrying it then and the price was high. I ended up using Duragard. I'd probably use Delvac if I changed the fluid today.

When I was looking for fluids I checked the specs of the oils recommended by Branson, mostly the low and high temp viscosity, and the 424 was close for both.

One drawback of the 424 is that it's clear, so it's tough to see in the sight glass if the level is above the glass. The Duragard is tinted. But if you fill slowly and keep an eye on the glass its not an issue. I use a bucket pump which is really slow but safe.

/ Rotella vs. Delvac #4  
If you live in a cold climate, I had huge issues with "Rotella HD" freezing up during the winter. I switched to a full synthetic Lucas product during this last winter and it worked very well.

Here's my thread if you're interested: Low temperature hydraulic fluid?

/ Rotella vs. Delvac #5  
I used Mobilfluid 424 (which has since been renamed to Delvac) in my 3725 and it worked fine. I would have used it for my last change but TSC wasn't carrying it then and the price was high. I ended up using Duragard. I'd probably use Delvac if I changed the fluid today.

When I was looking for fluids I checked the specs of the oils recommended by Branson, mostly the low and high temp viscosity, and the 424 was close for both.

One drawback of the 424 is that it's clear, so it's tough to see in the sight glass if the level is above the glass. The Duragard is tinted. But if you fill slowly and keep an eye on the glass its not an issue. I use a bucket pump which is really slow but safe.
Thanks for the renaming info.

/ Rotella vs. Delvac #6  
If you live in a cold climate, I had huge issues with "Rotella HD" freezing up during the winter. I switched to a full synthetic Lucas product during this last winter and it worked very well.

Here's my thread if you're interested: Low temperature hydraulic fluid?

Same deal for me needs to be the "universal" fluid with an actual 10W- 30 rating.

Summer is no problem, but in the winter the pump screams for quite a while if I just run the j 20c

Last edited:
   / Rotella vs. Delvac
Delvac is $85 but not available at TSC.
Rotella HD @ TSC is $120 (ouch!).
Locally, I can get John Deere Hy-Gard for $122.
Decisions, decisions…..

Im just not comfortable with farm store house brand lubricants.

Last edited: