Rotella vs Mobil

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Rotella vs Mobil #11  
Regarding pricing, if you become an Amsoil preferred customer you can buy the product-usually its most cost effective in the 2.5 gallon quantities-for LESS than Del 1 even with the shipping-granted its not a whole lot less but cheaper none the less.
Currently there is Rotella syn in it, from Walmart, and the cost was roughly .30 more than had I gotten Amsoil.

Now, what I found out about the marine/heavy duty diesel oil from Amsoil; part of the formulation is to allow the oil to cling to surfaces longer-and for an rv that seems perfect.

Also; both Mobil/Delvac 1 and Amsoil 15-40 have a tbn of 12. I know of no other 5-40 with a 12 tbn, I have only seen 10.

If the 6.0 did not have the heui I probably would go back to dyno-maybe.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #12  
Quieter I'd believe....warms up quicker, uh no I can't believe that one;)
If anything the 15w-40 would warm up quicker due to increased internal drag when cold:cool:

Ok you got me, I'm lying. The truck warms up faster for sure. Why is that hard to believe? Syn oils flow better when cold than dino's do. Just stating my results. 6.0 are hard on oils and they syn(if run early on) makes good sense in this engine.

Matt:rolleyes:

/ Rotella vs Mobil #13  
Regarding pricing, if you become an Amsoil preferred customer you can buy the product-usually its most cost effective in the 2.5 gallon quantities-for LESS than Del 1 even with the shipping-granted its not a whole lot less but cheaper none the less.

You sure about that? I dropped Amsoil about 2 years ago when they just priced themselves out of the market as far as I was concerned. Heck, I had like 4 or 5 people who became 'dealers' through me and was a 'preferred dealer' or whatever they call it in their Amway type selling layout. Even so, after that round of price increases they became far more expensive than Royal Purple in almost every category. I have done UOA between Amsoil HD diesel/marine 15w40 and Royal Purple's version and the results were both very good. Since I could simply go pickup Royal Purple at a local parts store who sold it far less than retail, I dropped Amsoil and just started using all Royal Purple. For things like my motor coach that use 40 quarts of oil per change, there was a substantial difference in the price of an oil change after Amsoil became considerably more expensive.

Maybe Amsoil dropped their price since everyone I know who was buying Amsoil pretty well dropped them back then too. I don't know.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #14  
Quieter I'd believe....warms up quicker, uh no I can't believe that one;)
If anything the 15w-40 would warm up quicker due to increased internal drag when cold:cool:

Ok you got me, I'm lying. The truck warms up faster for sure. Why is that hard to believe? Syn oils flow better when cold than dino's do. Just stating my results. 6.0 are hard on oils and they syn(if run early on) makes good sense in this engine.

Matt:rolleyes:
I agree with Skyco. He is talking time to temperature. I think youre talking time til it runs smoothly. You could consider that "time to warm up"...,but not exactly.
larry

/ Rotella vs Mobil #15  
Dargo, yes the pricing is less; in the 2.5 gallon containers the per quart price last time I bought was $5.38, marine hd oil, the 30-10/30 was a bit more, add the shipping and Amsoil was still less than Del 1 and Mobil Turbo diesel, $6.84 as I recall.

The end price is not a lot less, but it is positively less-I might be saving a 5er per change.

In the very recent past I always referred to Amsoil as Scamsoil and this is what changed my mind.
Did a service call at an engine builders shop, he was a retired race car mechanic-Offenhauser (sp?) engines, in charge of rebuilding them for the team-now he does work for the local street rod community. He had cases of Amsoil in the garage and I asked him about it-all he used. What I did not ask if they, Amsoil was the sponsor of his team-but even if they were this guy was 100% committed, and he was refusing work-two years out.

I do an oil analysis every other oil change, but as it has worked out-each time was Amsoil, the numbers are incredible-very-very low wear metal values and more importantly, 'negligible' indication of oil shearing (sheering?).

/ Rotella vs Mobil #16  
I've determined after tons of reading that my best solution is to just use the Rottela or the Delvac 15W40 and change every 25 hours with the PureOne filter.

Much better for the tractor and also cheaper as compared to what others are doing.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #17  
... change every 25 hours with the PureOne filter.

Much better for the tractor and also cheaper as compared to what others are doing.

Every 25 hours?? That would get rather expensive even using Rotella or Harvest brand motor oil, wouldn't it?

/ Rotella vs Mobil #18  
Not really. The Devac or Rotella is a little over $10. per gallon & the machine takes 3.5 qts. The filters are bought by the case through Amazon for $4.75 each.

If I really use the tractor and change the oil four times per year that's still under $60.

Last time I looked the Amsoil was $32. per gallon.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #19  
sarg, many smart people would agree with your choice of product and schedule, and in fact a few would say that yours is the best program.

I never subscribed to extended oil changes, or even going the recommended interval, we all are in the severe category, or 99% of all of us anyway.

Change early and change often, wise words, synthetic does offer benefits, but in the end, 120$ oil changes ever 4k is kinda sorta nuts, its just that I cannot help myself-it makes me feel good, and perhaps that is really the reason why I, and others go synthetic.

/ Rotella vs Mobil #20  
how about the rottella T6 full synthetic it looks to be better than the mobil delvac.

Status
Not open for further replies.