Roughing up packed snow on driveway

/ Roughing up packed snow on driveway #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Had 7" of wet snow on Wednesday, below freezing temps until yesterday when it barely got above freezing, after 24 degrees overnight. All that did was to make the ruts in the driveway an ice skating rink. Today it finally got a couple degrees above freezing, but was overcast, so not much melting has happened. Most of the trees still have almost as much snow as they did Thursday morning.

The driveway is 1/4 mile long and I almost fell a couple times going out to get the paper this morning.

This afternoon I hooked up a chain harrow to my JD770 and made one pass each way over the ruts. Chunked it up & grooved it pretty well over 98% of the way. I hope this will be safer to walk on & help it melt a little faster.

/ Roughing up packed snow on driveway #2  
if it's wet show get it off the drive as fast as you can,as you have found out :laughing:

/ Roughing up packed snow on driveway #3  
I thought everybody drove there tractor to get the paper... As the saying goes a tractor without attachments is just a lonely drive to the mailbox,,

Seriously though I've used my box blade to break up ice before..

/ Roughing up packed snow on driveway #4  
Our normal pattern is to have a snow, followed by temperatures warm enough to melt the gravel drive once I've plowed it. It is 1/4 mile through the woods and the house is 250' above the county road. We had a big snow a couple of weeks ago and it stayed below freezing until early last week. No melting, just packed slick snow. I used my landscape rake and it did a good job of just roughing up the surface. I've now switched out the rear blade for the rake, with my FEL snowplow.