Round bales and cleanup

/ Round bales and cleanup #11  
I know my goats would not touch the hay once it was on the ground. Sheep may be the same way. Google "round bale hay feeders for sheep". Look at the ones that you could adapt to your skills and budget.

Example:

Store your hay off of the ground on pallets (no plywood) and stack the bales far enough apart to allow the air to circulate OR stack them flat end to flat end so tight that the water can not get between them.

As far as your feeding spot, I would always feed the bales on the same spot or get a pitch fork and stack the waste hay into a compost pile.

/ Round bales and cleanup #12  
Klene Pipe Structures in Indiana makes a dandy round bale feeder that eliminates any wasted forage. Problem is, you have to load them with a bale spear or squeeze grab. When we raised cattle we had 2 and they totally eliminated waste and kept the bales off the ground and dry. When we divested ourselves of cattle, I sold them for what I paid for them. They aren't cheap but totally worth it in feed savings.

/ Round bales and cleanup #13  
I only raised the net wrap/twine issue, because last year in son's ag class at high school they had a steer get really bad, refused to eat, had a bulge, and hardly drink. I asked him, do yall remove the twine? Nope. The steer ended up passing the twine ball, and survived, but if an Ag teacher didn't think to tell the kids; I'm guessing a lot of people don't think about it.

Edit: I also asked; is it artifical twine or jute? "I don't know, it's orange...." that would be a poly twine. And if you drop it in a field, the idiot cattle will find and eat it, for no good reason...

/ Round bales and cleanup #14  
One of the hayfields I lease was loaded with poly twine. Took me a couple days to pick it all up. It's hell on bailing equipment as well.