Round pen almost finished

/ Round pen almost finished #1  

NoTrespassing

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota 1999 L3710 HST FWA
We've just about got it knocked out. A few odds and ends here and there and then put down the footing. I've decided on crushed gravel and sand. I still need to cut the top of the posts off even with the top of the fence. We stained all the cedar posts before setting them and backfilled them with peagravel. The top 4 boards are 5/4" cedar decking and the bottom two are 5/4" treated pine decking. All the screws are stainless. Every other row of boards are beveled on the ends about 15 degrees for the curve. Here are a few pics. I guess I've got almost $1500 in materials. Hope it lasts, only time will tell I guess.

Kevin

Attachments

• 653346-roundpenA.jpg
    653346-roundpenA.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 964
   / Round pen almost finished
The pen is about 68 ft. in diameter and 6ft. tall. We used a water level and line level on the ground and fence.

Attachments

• 653359-RoundpenB.jpg
    653359-RoundpenB.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 706
   / Round pen almost finished #3  
I'm glad you took the second picture with your little lady riding in there, else my wife might have dump me and headed for Illinois!

Nice work!

/ Round pen almost finished #4  
Just curious about why you made the pen so large.

/ Round pen almost finished #5  
Looks like you did a fine job. I have used a water level alot and they are super accurite. Pea gravel around the posts was also a good idea. Very nice. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<font color="blue"> Just curious about why you made the pen so large. </font>

20 meters (65.6ft) is a standard dressage circle.

/ Round pen almost finished #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The top 4 boards are 5/4" cedar decking and the bottom two are 5/4" treated pine decking. )</font>

Your pen looks great!

Pardon my ignorance, but why are the top boards cedar and the bottom two pine? Maybe it's a stupid question, but I am just curious.

Thanks,

Bryan

<font color="blue">Pardon my ignorance, but why are the top boards cedar and the bottom two pine? </font>

After I put in the footing for the horses the bottom board will be in contact with the ground. I just figured a treated board would hold up better in the moisture.

/ Round pen almost finished #10  
Nice looking round pen. Never thought about building one large enough for Dressage work though... and no, I wont be showing it to my wife. The last thing I need is another project.

We've actually had pretty good luck using granite sand for footing. It doesn't break down to smaller sizes like other footing material we've tried. It drains fairly well and isn't dusty. Of course, it does help that there is a granite quarry about 30 miles away...