rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #1  

firemanpat2910

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 2910II
my pops whacked something with his riding mower and bent both blades. one I got off with just a box end wrench, didnt even have to pick mower up. just layed on the ground, in the rain, and raised deck to its highest point. aggrivating but do-able. well the other blade would not budge. ok, stand mower up so its resting on the rear "hitch". try a 1/2 " dive socket. nope starts to slip rounding the head. smahed wrist into mower deck. get mad, leave. Next day while at work stop and by a "spline drive" style socket. that night try again new socket slipps. hand impact tool didnt help. vice grips no go. vice grips then whack with hammer ? nope hit thumb with hammer, that didnt help either. ok day 3, load mower on trailer. take to garage, at buddies house where my welder is. stand mower up on rear again. try air tools . nope. dig in tool box. find a cheap sears brand box/open end wrench, in the right size. 9/16. put wrench at 90 degree angle to the blade. weld wrench to the bolt head. splash it with beer for luck. Hold blade ( with welding gloves still on) hit wrench with big hammer. bolt comes right out. go to mount the new blade, and the star pattern on the spindle is all burred up from repeated wacking into stumps, curbs, concrete and anything else pops can hit. so out with the little die grinder, get it all cleaned up, install the new bolt. 70 cents at ace hardware. check the tires, install 2 plugs, even out all the tire pressues, one rear had twice what it should other had 2 psi and needed one of the plugs. hosed out a years worth of clippings and dirt from mower deck, wash the whole mower, tighten the steering wheel bolt. fix the cup holder, fill it with gas, check the oil. grease the front end. return it to pops. as soon as i get it off the trailer it starts raining again. some times simple little 5 minute jobs take 3 days and waste the only non raining saturday morning in 2 months. but the welding a cheap wrench on the bolt worked great. I have welded nuts on other bolts before but this was easier to hold in place. so save those old/cheap wrenches they might come in handy.

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #3  
my pops whacked something with his riding mower and bent both blades. one I got off with just a box end wrench, didnt even have to pick mower up. just layed on the ground, in the rain, and raised deck to its highest point. aggrivating but do-able. well the other blade would not budge. ok, stand mower up so its resting on the rear "hitch". try a 1/2 " dive socket. nope starts to slip rounding the head. smahed wrist into mower deck. get mad, leave. Next day while at work stop and by a "spline drive" style socket. that night try again new socket slipps. hand impact tool didnt help. vice grips no go. vice grips then whack with hammer ? nope hit thumb with hammer, that didnt help either. ok day 3, load mower on trailer. take to garage, at buddies house where my welder is. stand mower up on rear again. try air tools . nope. dig in tool box. find a cheap sears brand box/open end wrench, in the right size. 9/16. put wrench at 90 degree angle to the blade. weld wrench to the bolt head. splash it with beer for luck. Hold blade ( with welding gloves still on) hit wrench with big hammer. bolt comes right out. go to mount the new blade, and the star pattern on the spindle is all burred up from repeated wacking into stumps, curbs, concrete and anything else pops can hit. so out with the little die grinder, get it all cleaned up, install the new bolt. 70 cents at ace hardware. check the tires, install 2 plugs, even out all the tire pressues, one rear had twice what it should other had 2 psi and needed one of the plugs. hosed out a years worth of clippings and dirt from mower deck, wash the whole mower, tighten the steering wheel bolt. fix the cup holder, fill it with gas, check the oil. grease the front end. return it to pops. as soon as i get it off the trailer it starts raining again. some times simple little 5 minute jobs take 3 days and waste the only non raining saturday morning in 2 months. but the welding a cheap wrench on the bolt worked great. I have welded nuts on other bolts before but this was easier to hold in place. so save those old/cheap wrenches they might come in handy.

Well , If you consider how many miles your dad carried you before you could walk I'm sure you would give up a whole summer of nice Saturdays to help him out ! well done !

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #4  
I have found that I can usually get a better grip with a pipe wrench or even good channellocks than with vise grips. I really only use vise grips for clamps now.

At least you got it off though.

I learned another welder trick today too. A forklift mechanic was trying to remove an outer race of a tapered bearing from a wheel hub and he asked me to run a bead around the inside of the race, so I did. It actually shrunk the race to loosen it and at the same time gave him somewhat of a ledge to punch against from the other side. Worked like a charm!

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #5  
A good set of bolt-outs work wonders for that sort of thing...just tap them on and spin the bolt out...If I think of it I'll post a pic when I get home of my set

Sent from my LGL35G using TractorByNet

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #6  
Splash beer on the welded bolt and wrench, hmm... good tip!

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #7  
It was the heat..

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #8  
I always just weld a nut on them, don't have that many wrenches to waste! LUTT

/ rounded off bolt head GRRRRRRRRRRRR #10  
You made me laugh,, I have three sons and a son in law.. you sound like them.. next time get your buuuuut over there quicker so your dad can get back to work..:laughing:,, Lou