Rounded off drain plug

/ Rounded off drain plug #551  
OH come on now, you have to think BIG! We're going to hit 1000 before the first year anniversary of the original post.

Yes, but one step at a time. To get started and kick this off maybe someone could suggest a new idea to get the drainplug out?

/ Rounded off drain plug #552  
I'm depressed. I remember the first post. I just checked the date- March. I remember how many projects I thought I would have done by the end of the year.

Cheer up, you could be still trying to get the same drainplug out. :D

/ Rounded off drain plug #553  
Yes, but one step at a time. To get started and kick this off maybe someone could suggest a new idea to get the drainplug out?

Like melting it out with a torch?

/ Rounded off drain plug #555  
That might damage the threads. I'd have to create a new thread on retapping threads then.

I’ve seen a good torchest cut nuts off bolts without damaging the threads on the bolt.

/ Rounded off drain plug #556  
After alot of practice at my hourly paid job, I could do it (did it). The last time I did it was a boogered grease zerk on a 590 backhoe on the dipper. Just whack the remainder with a sharp cape chisel.

I had a trusted friend tell me he'd seen someone cut exhaust manifold studs out and not mess up threads, so I started trying.

Has to do with hardness and the sizes of the 2 pieces being able to dissipate the heat.

Last time I did it was 8 years ago, on other people's stuff. Being out of practice I would not pull that stunt on my own stuff :).

It would probably make a mess inside the gearbox because oil would probably burn. It can be done.

/ Rounded off drain plug #557  
Cheer up, you could be still trying to get the same drainplug out. :D
Yeah I've been procrastinating my kitchen crown molding and shower tiling. I'd trade for a drain plug!

/ Rounded off drain plug #558  
Unrelated picture 20181112_183733.jpeg

I guess everyone has their own personal stuck drain plug.

/ Rounded off drain plug #560  
I’ve seen a good torchest cut nuts off bolts without damaging the threads on the bolt.

That actually isnt hard to do on cast iron