RoundUp/Sprayer Sludge Question

/ RoundUp/Sprayer Sludge Question #1  

GaryM

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD4100 Hydro
I may have asked this last year, but don't remember any answers if I did!

I buy RoundUp concentrate and mix according to label directions. 2.5 Oz per gallon in a 2 gallon pump sprayer that's used for nothing else.

Now I usually don't use all I mix for a particular spray session so some often sits in the sprayer for a week or so. When I attempt to use the rest of the mix I sometimes find the screen clogging with what appears to be fibrous material that prevents the flow through the nozzle. I have to remove the nozzle and screen and back rinse it to be able to continue my work.

The sprayer is not stored with the top off so I'm pretty certain it's not spider silk or anything like that. I do rinse the tank and wand with water once in a while, but not every time.

Does RoundUp deteriorate or breakdown once it's been mixed? Maybe I should email the manufacturer?

Thanks for any ideas.

/ RoundUp/Sprayer Sludge Question #2  
   / RoundUp/Sprayer Sludge Question #3  
Empty and clean with every use.

/ RoundUp/Sprayer Sludge Question
I read the other thread, and as you said, no consensus was reached. :p

I emailed the Roundup folks along with a photo link. I'll report back with their reply,

/ RoundUp/Sprayer Sludge Question
Well, I heard from the folks at RoundUp today and here's their reply:

"Thank you for contacting us concerning Roundup products. As always, it is our goal to make sure that our customers are completely satisfied with our products and services.

I am sorry that you were disappointed in the consistency of Roundup Weed & Grass Killer Super Concentrate, Mr. Meissner. It is possible that a contaminate got into the container including potentially contaminated water. Roundup makes every effort to ensure that our products meet consumer expectations on every level, and we appreciate the time you took to make us aware of the problem.

Mr.XXXXX, we recommend that you plan ahead, and mix only as much of this product as you will actually use.

You may store diluted Weed & Grass Killer Super Concentrate for up to 6 months. After that, the surfactant, or sticking agent in the Roundup, breaks down due to impurities in tap water. Roundup Ready-To-Use products have a 4-year shelf life because they have an added ingredient to prevent this breakdown in the surfactant. If you store diluted product after use, be sure to mark the storage container to note both the contents and the date the product was mixed.

We want you to be confident in our products. For that reason, we offer a product guarantee to our consumers. Simply mail me your original itemized cash register receipt or the UPC barcode from the product packaging and I will promptly issue a refund check. My mailing address is:

Roundup Consumer Service
Attn: Whitney Wilder
Case # 11717669
Marysville, Ohio 43041"

It seems to me that they don't know the cause either!

If I had a cheap source I'd mix a gallon or two in a brand new sprayer using distilled or deionized water and see what happens.