Roy and Dale?

/ Roy and Dale? #41  
My grandfather got a Shetland Pony, for some reason. I think he wanted to show us, as very young children, how to control a horse to pull a cart. When he was a young child, they would ride a horse drawn carriage. He wanted to recreate that experience for us. This pony was named Trigger. It was the nastiest, meanest, most stubborn and frankly, a dangerous animal to have around. It would walk up to you and then rear kick you in the gut for no reason, then turn around and try to bite you. You couldn't even field this pony with any other live stock. It would attack them like some sort of mad rottweiler pony. Trigger eventually went the glue farm with no tears shed. :)
Shetland ponies were a craze in the fifties. They could be ordered from the Sears Catalog.

/ Roy and Dale? #42  
I enjoyed their spirt and the movies as a young lad also. And I met Roy and Dale at the opening of his Roy Rodgers restaurant in Warminster Pa. in the 60's or early 70's. In fact I had a contact. I went to school in the late 50's with Leonard (Len) Slye in Warminster Pa who was Roy's brother. Roy was every bit as genuine and friendly as one could expect......We had good role models back then. Roy, Gene Autry, the Lone Ranger etc...Happy Trails....

/ Roy and Dale? #43  
I am very conservative; however I am very casual in my dress. I look a bit haggard and frumpy; I'm going through a series of chemo and radiation treatments.

I hope I did not cause you any stress. Your posts come across as a young thinking mature man, so I expected you to be younger.

You did not seem either haggard or frumpy in the photo, just older than I thought you were.

As with a lot of us who post on here, I wish that you can reasonably enjoy your share of the limited time we all have left.

/ Roy and Dale? #44  
Who was the guy in the Jeep? There was 50-gallons barrel cut in half tha tDad had as water trough when he put the horses in the upper pasture. The neighbor girl was 3 and I was 4, my little brother was not quite 2. We could deposit him in the half barrel to be thw side kick, and he could rock it side to side, while we played Dale and Roy.

I got told I could choose the little brothers name, and I fought hard for Roy Rogers. His God parents were Scottish, so we compromised with Roy Robert. The Family called him Roy, but his god parents, and god brothers always called him RobRoy.

When he went to college, he and one of the godbrothers did a lot of rock and mountain climbing together, and the folks in that social circle knew him as RobRoy. He tell folks to give him a call, he was in the book. And they would see him the next weekend, and say they tried to call, but couldn’t find him. He was in the book as Roy. Phone Company wouldn’t list him as RobRoy, so he went and legally changed his name.

/ Roy and Dale? #45  
Who was the guy in the Jeep? There was 50-gallons barrel cut in half tha tDad had as water trough when he put the horses in the upper pasture. The neighbor girl was 3 and I was 4, my little brother was not quite 2. We could deposit him in the half barrel to be thw side kick, and he could rock it side to side, while we played Dale and Roy.

I got told I could choose the little brothers name, and I fought hard for Roy Rogers. His God parents were Scottish, so we compromised with Roy Robert. The Family called him Roy, but his god parents, and god brothers always called him RobRoy.

When he went to college, he and one of the godbrothers did a lot of rock and mountain climbing together, and the folks in that social circle knew him as RobRoy. He tell folks to give him a call, he was in the book. And they would see him the next weekend, and say they tried to call, but couldn’t find him. He was in the book as Roy. Phone Company wouldn’t list him as RobRoy, so he went and legally changed his name.
Pat Brady

/ Roy and Dale? #46  
Shetland ponies were a craze in the fifties. They could be ordered from the Sears Catalog.
A friend of mine's father entered a contest to win a horse. They came home one day and there was a Shetland pony tied to a tree in the yard! He won. :ROFLMAO:

She and her siblings loved the horse, but they lived in the city, and the neighbors started complaining, so they sold....

the house!

And moved out of the city. They all learned to ride the pony then went on to riding horses in 4H fair. She said the pony was ornery. They'd hop on him bareback, and he'd take them where ever they were going, but if the horse wanted it to be over, he'd buck them off and run home. Then they'd have to walk back. She said it could be 1 minute or 1 hour, but when he was done, you were on your butt on the side of a road somewhere. 😂

/ Roy and Dale? #47  
I think that Shetland ponies get away with practically anything, mainly because they are too small for adults to ride them and "school" them and kids don't know enough. My wife trained a couple into adored animals, but she has said more than a few times about how willful they are.

Rather like donkeys, who have a highly refined sense of self preservation; you can ask politely, and insist, but they are only going to do what they think is reasonable to do. I find them hard not to admire.

Shetland ponies are definitely cute.

All the best,

Peter

/ Roy and Dale? #48  
I wouldn't have a Shetland pony if you paid me. They are the Pit Bull of Equines. Mean, hard to train, at times vicious, stupid, untrustworthy and, well..... I guess you can tell I don't like Shetland ponies.

One of the smartest equines I ever had was a small coon-hunting mule. I couldn't praise him enough.

As far as Roy Rogers goes, don't forget Bullet, Buttermilk and NellyBelle.

/ Roy and Dale?
I hope I did not cause you any stress. Your posts come across as a young thinking mature man, so I expected you to be younger.

You did not seem either haggard or frumpy in the photo, just older than I thought you were.

As with a lot of us who post on here, I wish that you can reasonably enjoy your share of the limited time we all have left.
Naw. I'm not very thin skinned, and my sense of humor can only be described as "sophomoric". I think my career and my country upbringing keeps my mind sharp and young...as do my six grand kids!

/ Roy and Dale? #50  
Prayers from southern Kansas for you 2Lane.