RTV 1100 Transmission problem

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem #1  

m7040

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MF 203 industrial, ZD331, RTV 1100 , Kubota Minix excavator, Unimog 404
The transmission slips badly when the oil gets warmed up. There must be some internal leak inside the transmission when the oil gets warm. At cold temperatures the transmissions performs normally. I may have over stressed it pulling a trailer because it was after that it became evident. Before taking it to the Kubota dealer I was wondering if there are some other options such as trouble shooting and fixing it myself. I am not finding much on the net about this. Any ides?

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem #2  
How many hours on the oil, may have burn't it. Check oil level under the seat, change oil and filters. Connecting cables could have slipped, inspect, and sdjust

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem
The oil and filters were changed just before this happened. Oil is clear as Super UDT looks like. Oil level is normal on the dipstick. Operates completely normal for up to 30 mins after which it slips a lot in gear and when cooled down it operates fine again. Maybe clearances have opened up somewhere inside the transmission and made worse by the lower oil viscosity at operating temperature. As suggested I will check cables and linkages. Thank you for the input RoyKing

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem #4  
m7040....I sent a PM

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem #5  
The oil level under the seat is important not just the dipstick

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem #6  
Ah, if oil and filters were changed preceding this, I wonder if the tank under the seat was not topped off as RoyKing is alluding to...

If you only go by the dipstick on the transmission then you will be marginally or severely under-filled.

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem #7  
Did your problems start right after the oil/filter changes?

The problems started after pulling a trailer out of some mud. The oil change was earlier maybe 25 hours on new oil and filter and working normally. The oil level in the tank under the seat is normal.

Ruffdog, thank you for the PM. Checked out the referenced posts and it sounds complicated to fix internal transmission problems

/ RTV 1100 Transmission problem #10  
Breaking down the transmission is not for the faint of heart. If you have a dealer nearby, I'll suggest taking it by and getting an opinion from the service manager. There are some adjustments you can make to balance the load on the engine and the speed out of the transmission. I had trouble with my 900 slowing down to just a few mph going up hills. The dealer recommended changing all the oils/filters and using only udt2 oil. I changed the engine and transmission oil/filters with no change in performance. Then I discovered the 5 gallon tank under the seat. I found there was a leak in this tank and after getting the oil changed and leak fixed, it runs like it should. In my talk with the service manager, he said they could adjust the engine for better speed or better hill climbing. I don't think you can damage a hydro transmission by pulling a heavy load unless you burn the oil although I have read where some rtv owners have overhauled their transmissions. I'd look at adjusting the load on the engine vs transmission and/or getting advice from kubota.