RTV 900 and water tank

/ RTV 900 and water tank #1  

redharley

Gold Member
Tractor
BX2230
I am looking to make up a water hauling device for my RTV for watering the garden this year. Any other idea's among my fellow user's. I am adding a 200 gal water tank which fits in the bed nicely, a couple of rachets straps to secure. For discharging I am wandering if gravity will empty it through a nozzle or if I should pump it out also.I get my water from a creek close by but I only have 1 gas powered pump which I let buy the creek when I was filling the bucket's in the past.

/ RTV 900 and water tank #2  
I have a RTV900 and love it... I sometimes put a 25 gal. tank and sprayer in the back to spray herbicides, and it works very well. For your application I think gravity would work fine, but would be fairly slow... a pump arrangement would be much quicker if that is an issue. My only concern would be the weight of a 200 gal. tank. Filled with water it would be over 1600 lbs., and that is right at the rated carrying capacity for the RTV900 bed. I would take it real easy, and don't underestimate the instability effect of sloshing water.

/ RTV 900 and water tank #3  
Weight might be more of an issue. I have hauled 2-55 gal drum's full of water with no issue but 2x that would be very heavy. With the drums on their side I use a pvc valve and connect a water hose. Good water pressure at the hose to water with until the level drops.

A better solution might be to mount a tank on a small single axel trailer that can be pulled behind the RTV. In this area those 250 gal poly tanks with a metal frame sell for about $125. I don't think discharge flow will be an issue. 200-250 gal creates quite a bit of head pressure. Use a 3/4" hose verses a 1/2 hose should help also.

/ RTV 900 and water tank #4  
Filled with water it would be over 1600 lbs., and that is right at the rated carrying capacity for the RTV900 bed. I would take it real easy, and don't underestimate the instability effect of sloshing water.

Weight might be more of an issue. I have hauled 2-55 gal drum's full of water with no issue but 2x that would be very heavy. With the drums on their side I use a pvc valve and connect a water hose. Good water pressure at the hose to water with until the level drops.

A better solution might be to mount a tank on a small single axel trailer that can be pulled behind the RTV. In this area those 250 gal poly tanks with a metal frame sell for about $125.

According to the RTV 900 (Worksite) specs, the cargo bed load is 1102 pounds, the maximum towing capacity is 1300 pounds, and the payload capacity is 1653 pounds.

http://www.kubota.com/product/RTV900/pdf/rtv900_spec.pdf

IMO, you need to think about making more trips with a smaller tank.

Steve

/ RTV 900 and water tank #5  
I use a Gator to haul sap for maple syrup. Going to upgrade to a RTV900 or 1100 because it will haul more weight.

But I am going to use at least 2 smaller tanks to get that capacity. One big tank, half or 3/4 full on an RTV deck, maybe raised because of adding a track set could very easily slosh and upset the whole thing. Smaller tanks won't let the whole load shift so far.

At least don't tie it down. If it hits the tipping point, let it fall out.

/ RTV 900 and water tank #6  
I have had the bed on the RTV1100 filled to the rails with pea gravel and it handled it very well. If you are not going far should do well just no steep hills.

David Kb7uns

/ RTV 900 and water tank #7  
The gravel is one thing, the center of gravity on a 200 to 250 gallon tank is going to be nearly 2 feet above the deck,
and tracks raise the hole thing 6 to 10" depending on whose track set you get. And there are lots of hills in most sugar bushes ... there sure is on our lot.

/ RTV 900 and water tank #8  
My friend drove a water truck in Viet Nam which delivered our water to the mountain top site. One wheel dropped down on the downhill side which shifted the water, rolled the truck and killed him. Just be careful transporting sloshing liquids. Keep them as low as possible.:thumbsup:

/ RTV 900 and water tank #9  
Full tanks dont slosh around but a 200 gallon tank IS going to be fairly top heavy. I wouldnt want to be hauling it around in my RTV. Maybe if you could install some baffles in it to slow down the sloshing and only fill it 1/2 to 3/4 full it would help with both the weight and sloshing around. If you are using one of those Tote Tanks, I think the hole in the top is large enough that you could put some plastic sections in and notch them so they form an x and lay them corner to corner to stop the sloshing.

/ RTV 900 and water tank #10  
I rigged a small 12v pump, 70 gal. tank, and hooked some hose with a wand on it to water saplings. Worked great. As others have said tho, felt a bit uncomfortable side hilling with that center of gravity up a bit high (and only 70 gal.). This was with a Mule. I believe the RTV 900 bed is a bit higher and make the situation a bit worse. Be carefull.

Later,