RTV in Sand?

/ RTV in Sand? #1  

jdavis3099

Tractor
Kubota 4630
I am considering using an RTV in sandy creek bottoms as sort of a chase vehicle for ATVs running the creek beds. I would be carrying fuel, food, etc. The creek bottoms have dry loose sand, wet sand, and firm sand. A 4wd ATV does fine but 2WD can be more challenging.

Will the RTV work for this role or will it sink out of site? It is as heavy as 2 ATVs with about the same tire size.

/ RTV in Sand? #2  
For what you are describing, I would think the Yamaha Rhino would be a better pick. I have both a Rhino and a RTV. I have larger tires on both, and even a lift kit on the RTV. From my experience, in loose sand, the RTV will run out of power and it's weight will become an issue. With a few simple modifications, you can chase down most all ATV's in the Rhino while carrying your load. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The RTV is better suited at some things where a slow heavy hauler is required. If you are going to be in challanging conditions, the RTV will not climb steep hills, and will not travel through sloppy stuff like the Rhino will. People who claim the RTV will climb steep hills simply have not tried what I consider steep hills. On my Rhino, I've made it up some hills (with a passenger and equipment in the back) on property I own where every single ATV rider simply said "pass" on attempting the hill. Oh yeah, one other thing, if you do get a Rhino, be sure to get the tie down anchors in the bed. If not, you'll get so excited in "getting there", that you'll arrive without what you left with in the back. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I think you know how I know that to be a fact. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ RTV in Sand? #3  
my very extensive experience with the rtv gives me the qualification to give you the advice .like dargo said the rtv is very heavy on loose wet sand i would not reccomend it do not know about the belt driven rhino i had a polaris once with a belt driven tranny it was junk in water if it got wet you was in trouble. as for as the rtv climbing very steep grades well mind will climb any thing i put it on as for as who has the steeper hills i have no way of knowing i live in southeast ky. in the appalachian mountain range and we have very steep grade here it climbs ever thing with plenty of power left (say it with me low range diff lock 4 wheel drive you can not stop it climbing anything) it honestly believe it would climb a hill so steep it would flip back before it stoped pulling

/ RTV in Sand? #4  
JDavis,

I agree with Dargo. From what I've heard, the RTV will/may have issues in sand.

Check out this site and do a search for "sand". Watch for posts by DRankin as he's in the sand all the time. His RTV is now for sale due to issues in the sand.

/ RTV in Sand? #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you are going to be in challanging conditions, the RTV will not climb steep hills, and will not travel through sloppy stuff like the Rhino will. )</font>

I don't doubt the Rhino might be better suited for rough conditions as its basicly an ATV, but I just can't see the RTV not being able to handle slopes. I've run them over some sick stuff, and seen a demo where they drove one up a 45 degree slope, parked it, than continued driving up again. For sandy conditions the Rhino is probably better suited, but I sure can't see the kind of things your talking about.

/ RTV in Sand? #6  
For around the yard, or around the farm, the RTV is fine. But, I promise you that it is not well suited to climbing steep hills. I've owned one for a year and a half. I've driven others to see how they pull. With the stock WS tires, you will tun out of traction. With larger more aggressive tires, you will flat run out of power and it will just quit pulling on really challanging hills. Yes, this is even in low range. And, no, there is nothing wrong with my RTV. Heavens knows it's been checked out and compared to others enough!

The poster talked about "ATV" trails and following ATV's. That is why I mentioned this limitation. It is simply an undeniable fact that the RTV is not suited to challanging off road hill climbing. Period. No footnotes needed. It just won't. I've run off road vehicles basically all my life. I raced motocross and hill climbs for years. I'm telling you that if you sell the RTV as a capable "do it all" serious off road unit, you are not telling the truth and you will have some very unhappy customers.

Since it was not sold to me as such, I accept it's limitations. If you sold one to me and made such promises, I'd have you buying it back. It is what it is. A vehicle for serious ATV trails, or for running in soft sand, it is not.

/ RTV in Sand? #7  
Yeah, it's not a “serious” off-road vehicle but it does do rather well in the vast majority of off-road conditions and when climbing hills. It should climb hills 30 degrees or less with good traction. 30 degrees might be a challenge at times, and anything more than 30 degrees is a little crazy (to say the least). /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ RTV in Sand?
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like the consensus is Rhino.