RTV on a hill

/ RTV on a hill #1  

Dargo

Tractor
Jinma, Foton, TYM, Belarus, Yanmar, Branson, Montana, Mahindra and maybe some green and orange too.
I have a Kubota RTV and really like it. I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem that I just came across. The ground in my area finally dried out enough for me to try to climb a steep hill in the back of my property. I put it in 4X4 and low range, engauged the diff. lock, and had at it. Unfortunately I didn't make it. That was not the problem. The problem is that when that happens I cannot get the RTV out of low and into reverse. I tried so hard that I was afraid of bending or breaking the shift lever. I put on the parking brake, shut off the engine, tried punching the throttle and then moving it out after the bump to no avail. Afraid that I would break something, I actually drove up behind it with my tractor and, with a used tire in between to prevent any damage, pushed the RTV up just a bit and it came right out of gear and I was able to back down. Maybe I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but I tried it again with the same results. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Has anyone else had the problem of getting their RTV out of drive and into reverse when they could not make it up a hill?

/ RTV on a hill #2  
Dargo
It's the nature of the beast. When this happens crank your steering wheel all the way left or right, then back the other way as far as it will go and it will drop in gear. This is in the manual so I can't take credit for it. How was the cruise?

/ RTV on a hill #3  
Thanks RB! I've never faced that situation and I forgot about that message in the manual. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

How are things up north y'all?

/ RTV on a hill #5  
Yeah, that's a good point/idea/request. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ RTV on a hill
Okay, I'll try to attach the picture of the hill. It's not a really big hill. As a matter of fact, the trail going up it was made with the worksite Gator I had. Maybe it is the tires on the RTV that keep it from climbing like the Gator. By the way, trying the steering deal definitely did not work. I got stuck again trying to go up the hill and tried turning left, right, left, right, any way I could and it would not help. The RTV was still stuck big time in gear. Hopefully there is a fix for this issue because as is, I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable planning a off road trip with it.
Okay, why won't the pic upload? It is only 580kb. Maybe I can email it to someone and they can post it. For some reason I can't. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ RTV on a hill #7  
Check your linkage, I had a bolt come loose on mine, which locked it up. The linkage is on the passenger side over the rear axle.

/ RTV on a hill #8  
Yo Jippy
Things are good up North. The RTV is running fine and has been earning its keep hauling dirt. Been cleaning the shop so I will be able to turn around in it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Later dude!

/ RTV on a hill #10  
Dargo--

An 850 kb picture won't load to this site--gotta be less than 100 kb.

My experience on hills with the RTV is that the tires (on the worksite model I have) are a significant limiting factor; they load up instantly and turn into slicks. The machine will go up anything I can point it at dry, but wet is a different matter. I'm torn between accepting this limitation because the quasi-turf tires are great on the lawn, vs. adding some ATV tires to get some capability in the mud (other than with the winch). However, I haven't had the stuck-in-gear problem you describe--what a pain in the tail!! Keep us posted?