RTV-XG850

/ RTV-XG850 #2  
That looks great, if I were in the market for a UTV this would definitely be on the list to check out. Limited slip front diff and locking rear, but it says "foot operated locking differential". Blah. Is that how they implemented the diff lock on the older RTV's?

/ RTV-XG850 #4  
.... "foot operated locking differential".....

That's a deal breaker for me, unless it can be pushed to lock and left that way w/o having to keep pressing your foot.

/ RTV-XG850 #5  
How can you expect to have a rear differential lock and then expect to operate in any way but a straight line, have yet to see a mechanical differential lock that was not spring loaded.

Have seen electrically activated rear differentials and have a front one on my quad with pumps driven by the spinning wheel that will lock up but once the wheel gains traction it unlocks the clutch pack as the fluid is no longer being pumped into the clutch pack.

Think you will be waiting a very long time for a differential that stays locked all the time as once it is locked steering in a direction other then straight is difficult.

David

/ RTV-XG850
Someone posted on the OTT forum that his dealer told him it is a Subaru motor? If that's the case I would be happy with that. All my Subaru/Fuji/Robin motors have been trouble free for me.
And the Fuji in my older Polaris was the only one that starts in the minus 40 degree weather we have had. The new fuel injected Polaris made one....not a chance.

/ RTV-XG850 #7  
How can you expect to have a rear differential lock and then expect to operate in any way but a straight line, have yet to see a mechanical differential lock that was not spring loaded.

....Think you will be waiting a very long time for a differential that stays locked all the time as once it is locked steering in a direction other then straight is difficult.

David

Huh? In every quad I've owned along with my current Honda Rancher the rear axle is always locked with no ability to unlock. My Polaris Ranger's rear axle is locked unless you toggle the switch to "open". My previous Mule could be mechanically locked.

Someone posted on the OTT forum that his dealer told him it is a Subaru motor?

I just checked Subaru/Robbins website and saw this which is kinda sad; Small Engines | Pumps | Generators | Subaru Industrial Power

"Effective October 2nd, 2017, Subaru Corporation has withdrawn from the small engine power product business and has ceased the production and sale of multi-purpose engines, generators and pumps.

Industrial Power Products of America, Inc. will be responsible for supplying replacement parts to our distribution network as well as handling warranty claims."

/ RTV-XG850 #8  
Huh? In every quad I've owned along with my current Honda Rancher the rear axle is always locked with no ability to unlock. My Polaris Ranger's rear axle is locked unless you toggle the switch to "open". My previous Mule could be mechanically locked.
Yes, most sport quads have a solid rear axle. No unlocking those unless its broken.
My previous ATV and current UTV have locked rear axles. You need to get the models with turf mode to have the ability to unlock the rears.

/ RTV-XG850
DK35vince is correct. All modern atv's and side by sides have locked rear axles unless you get one with "turf mode" as he said.

/ RTV-XG850 #10  
My Kubota UTV has a lever on the dash to lock/unlock the read dif...

If you leave the lever in the lock position, the real axle stays locked.

SR