RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck #1  

JohnnyMX

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
My father in-law purchased an RTV900 years ago. I took it to the woods to clear some down trees and had it loaded up with a buddy and the tools. We got it stuck twice as we found a very deep area of drift that was hard enough we drove over it until we sunk in. Event in 4WD with the diff lock engaged I couldn't even get tires to spin. I also have v-chains on the rear so figured we go through just about anything. The plow was still hanging off the front as well which squats it a bit more, but I would have thought it'd have the power to at least climb out. The engine would rev but it just wouldn't go. Other than that it works fine.

Am I missing something here or doing something wrong? Maybe my expectations were too high ??

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck #2  
Asking too much of it. May have burned a spot in belt.

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck #3  
Mine will definitely spin the tires in an about to get stuck or stuck situation. It takes some getting used to, but keeping the throttle to the floor isn’t where the pulling power is on an RTV 900. The next time you pull a load with the RTV, shift down to low or medium, in high mine doesn’t have the pulling power that it does in lower settings. I have gotten it stuck to the point of just spinning tires, I added a winch soon after purchase, they are heavy.

Mike

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck #4  
I’ve never had a problem where my 900 won’t spin the tires even with the bed loaded heavily. You’re talking snow, and even if it broke through to dirt, I think slippery. But other than that, how will it do like running on a road? Will it get to about 23 - 25 on the flat? If the hydro has a problem, usually I hear top end speed drops off. Low range I can always spin the tires - except maybe on paved. We don’t have that fancy stuff near us. On our gravel roads I will spin the tires pulling a heavy load.

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck
In 2WD on the flat, I can haul my garbage at about 24mph. That is why it seemed odd to me. It is due for a hydro oil change any day now, but I can't imagine it is going to make that much of a difference. It does have a mix of fluids in it, but I'm putting Kubota SuperUDT2 back in. Not sure if that really matters as much as Kubota says it does.

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck #6  
Neighbor had his 1100 stuck many (many) times and I had to help get it out. I would say the tires would spin a bit as it was usually high centered plus sunk in mud.
(unsure how 900-1100 are different in drive systems)

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck #7  
If a vehicle’s tires don’t turn, how is that stuck?
To me, that’s just broken down.

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck #8  
SUDT2 means a lot but cold operation, not when it’s warmed up and not for your problem. I have an old pub Kubota printed when they introduced the first Super UDT. They showed how much flow improved, noise was reduced, on cold start. Once up to operating temp about the same, but SUDT2 may be more durable, not break down as quickly. My usual thing for hydro analysis is to first do a pressure test. Torque is equivalent to pressure times displacement. But I don’t remember reading in these forums of people checking hydro pressure.

/ RTV900 - Question on transmission and getting stuck
If a vehicle’s tires don’t turn, how is that stuck?
To me, that’s just broken down.
That is kind of my mentality. It did dig a bit and I found dirt in the chains, but the wheels should all have been spinning like crazy trying to get me out no?? It did have snow up under it and sank down in. Then again, I get it out and go plow a 1/2 mile just fine, so I don't know what that means.