Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade?

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #1  

cold1313

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota M4D-071 Kubota F3990
I have a new-to-me, 84" Woods 3pt blade that I plan to use this year to push snow.

It's much heavier than my old smaller blade, and I'm thinking I might want something between the blade and the driveway.

Is there a way to buy heavy duty rubber and I can drill out the holes and put it on the blade myself?

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #2  
My Rhino 950 is 96" wide and 1050#. If I need to clear snow off my mile long gravel driveway and it's still soft - rotate the blade 180 degrees and go like smoke & oakum. Any type of soft(rubber) edge on the blade that will hold up will also tear up the soft driveway.

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade?
I usually drive in reverse to do the same effect - so I'm not packing down snow with the tires first. Maybe not the best option for the 3 point?

I've had good luck with what you're suggesting though. I was curious if the weight of the blade would counter anything I tried to add to it (rubber, pipe, etc).

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #4  
I cut a strip of stall mat & sandwiched it between cutting edge & blade body with about 3 inches proud. It stood up to two seasons before tearing a bit at one end (NC piedmont snow seasons that is).

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #5  
I have a 72" Land Pride RB.

It came with a metal edge.

I was able to order a Kubota 72" rubber edge and it fit PERFECTLY on the Land Pride. No extra drilling or anything.

Bolted right on.

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #6  
RubberCal.com will make a cutting edge and punch the holes... you supply the overall length and hole shapes/positions... should be under $100.00

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #7  
I tried horse stall mat and it did OK -- probably the best and most economical rubber cutting edge you can make yourself -- but it was not as good as putting a pipe over the cutting edge. So I eventually went back to the pipe and it's been great for years.

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #8  
Do you have a gravel driveway? If so you really don't even want the plow to touch the gravel or you will be taking piles out in the spring. Pack it down the first few small storms.

As for the rubber you need some type of rubber with fiber cords in it or a plastic edge. Almost all plow manufactures sell plastic edges.

I have a Fisher V plow that uses a rubber flap in the middle to connect the two halves at the ground. I tried a rubber stall mat one year. I used 3 layers of it and had large fender washers behind. Before I could finish my 400' driveway I lost 2 of them and the last one was hanging, so don't use horse stall mats. The one that's been on there now is a piece of bias ply tire and so far lasted 2 or 3 years. I plow 9 driveways, one is more like a trail.

/ Rubber Cutting Edge for Rear Blade? #10  
I have a piece of uhmw plastic to replace the cutting edge in the winter. Bought the right length and drilled matching holes.

Others have used composite decking as a winter edge.