Snow Attachments Rubber leading edge for snow plow?

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
I'll be plowing this winter with a 60" front blade on my SCUT....but just poured a new concrete driveway/apron and don't want to tear it up with the metal.

Anyone have a source for rubber or other substance for the blade edge?
Or any other recommendations?

Or do you think the steel is OK on the concrete? Won't chip it? My apron is huge, and not all flat, it's sloped towards the downhill driveway for water.

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #2  
Some here use drive belt from TSC or similar, some use cut up stall mat material. I cut up a tire and used the tread section for my rear blade & it works pretty well for the past 2 years. Bolted it between the moldboard & cutting edge. I'd suggest you avoid the steel belted tires if you decide to go this route. You will lose the ability to really scrape ice up with it, but it sounds like that is less a concern than damaging your new drive.

IMG_2587.jpg

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #3  

I got a piece of this very hard rubber like material that was used on a county truck. A friend of mine who works for the county got it for me.

Attachments

• rubber edge.jpg
    rubber edge.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 2,122
   / Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #4  
Here's a couple I saw when I was looking at rubber for my fel plow. I have a very long asphalt driveway, concrete pad by my 3 car garage, and a brick circular turnaround in front of our house. I was concerned about the brick, but went with steel cutting edge to handle ice built up from car tire tracks when I couldn't plow in time.

No damage on any of the surfaces - I just don't go at crazy speeds & watch the transition points from one material to another. I think the snow actually acts as a lubricant too. Anyway, all my surfaces come out clean. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Parts Made for The Pavement Maintenance Industry

Snow Plow Cutting Edge for Meyer, Diamond, Fisher and Western Plows

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #5  
I'm pretty sure I got mine from BoughtaJD's first link, which is a company called Rubbercal. I have mine on a rear blade, and it works well, it has a little bit of a squeegee affect that helps remove snow.

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #6  
TSC has thick rubber animal mats, that may be the ticket.
DevilDog

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #7  
If you have any stables or dairy farms in your area that are quitting you may want to check on auction sales. Some of these will have rubber mats that won't smell the best but are around 6 foot x 4 foot and are made from a very tough textile impregnated rubber. I have seen them sell for $5.00 ea, take all you want.

Roy

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #8  
horse stall matting works good.

soundguy

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #9  
I used horse stall matting bought from TSC. Just cut a ~6" strip from one side with a Sawzall, cut it to width with same (left it about 1" long on each side), removed the cutting edge, marked the bolt holes, drilled with a spade bit, and installed by making a sandwich of the mat strip between the blade proper and the c utting edge. I left about 1" exposed along the width. There are pictures an earlier thread of mine. Just do a search on my name.

Frank

/ Rubber leading edge for snow plow? #10  
I'll be plowing this winter with a 60" front blade on my SCUT....but just poured a new concrete driveway/apron and don't want to tear it up with the metal.

Or do you think the steel is OK on the concrete? Won't chip it? My apron is huge, and not all flat, it's sloped towards the downhill driveway for water.

i use a piece of pollyurithan plastic 1 inch thick by 6 inches it lasts me about 4 -5 seasons.