Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow

/ Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow #1  

SDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Multiple Fords and Kubotas
I would like to replace the steel cutting edge on my Kubota V 5060, 60" snow plow with a hard rubber or poly cutting edge . This plow is used on my Kubota RTVX-1100C.

Kubota does not offer a rubber or poly cutting edge for this plow.

The OEM edge is 1/4" flat steel 72" long X 6" wide and is held in place by 8, 5/16" carriage bolts.

The plow is made for Kubota by Curtis Industries.

Anyone know where I could find one?

SDT

/ Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow #2  
I'm not familiar with your setup, but at work we used a cut-up tire sandwiched between the cutting edge and moldboard and the guys love it. If you want to put minimal work into it, start with a tread that a truck threw off along the interstate.

We have a lot of small bumps / uneven edges and that glides over them very well. We've had the same edge for years. Last year we nailed down a property maintenance outfit, so our equipment will be retired except for minor cleanups.

/ Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow #4  
Unlikely you will find anything specific to your plow. I have a 84 x 6 x 1.5” poly edge on my ssqa plow that I ordered on ebay. Quality poly is not cheap, particularly with thick edges.
Poly drills easily with standard wood bits, just clamp the edge on and punch mark the hole pattern.

/ Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow #5  
Many folks have use a "stall mat" from your local tractor/farm supply store. The mats usually measure 4'x6' and are about 1" thick. People will cut a strip, drill holes to match the bolt pattern in the blade and then sandwich the mat trip in the same manner that Chim describes using a piece of a truck tire.

The mats are relatively cheap ($40?) and a single mat will yield several strips of rubber for your blade.

/ Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow #6  
Take a look at UMHW.

UHMW is a heavy-duty, high-impact plastic used in a variety of extreme weather applications from forestry equipment to snowmobile skis. UHMW is virtually unbreakable, significantly more wear-resistant than steel, and not adversely affected by freezing winter temperatures. In snow plow edge applications, UHMW is much quieter than steel and more gentle on surfaces, increasing the longevity of roads and protecting aesthetic surfaces such as cobblestone and driveway transitions. Interstate Plastics cuts UHMW sheet to your specified dimensions and the material's desirable machining properties allow customers to drill bolt-holes and mount edges with ease (and with no specialized hardware required).

Our most popular plastics for UHMW snow plow and scraper edge applications include UHMW reprocessed sheet as a cost-effective solution, and IPX 2000 UHMW advanced wear technology sheet for lower friction, improved abrasion resistance, and UV stabilization.

UHMW is the perfect winter solution for applications including:

Scraper edges
Vat scrapers
Bucket lips
Skid shoes & skid plates
Skid loaders & skidsteers
Runners & running Boards
Plow blades & wings

UHMW Overview
Known for an extremely high molecular weight, UHMW features an unsurpassed combination of slickness, toughness and chemical resistance.

UHMW's molecular weight ranges from 3.1 million to 100 million grams per mole, with an abrasion resistance that continues to improve as molecular weight increases.

UHMW plastic is ideal for reducing wear and friction due to its specialized internal lubrication, reducing maintenance costs and energy consumption while extending equipment life. High durability, low friction and wear resistance are key reasons why UHMW is the material of choice for many applications.

UHMW is easy to machine with common woodworking tools, making it extremely cost effective, and outperforms metal in many applications. UHMW can be machined into virtually anything from small gears and bearings to huge sprockets. UHMW is also moisture repulsive and easy to fabricate.

Reprocessed grades, enhanced bearing and wear grades and FDA compliant grades are available for greatly extended part life. Interstate Plastics is proud to carry four specialized grades of UHMW: reprocessed, anti-static, IPX 2000 and Tivar® 88.

[UHMW Spec Sheet PDF]

• Odorless, tasteless and nontoxic
• Highly resistant to corrosive chemicals (except oxidizing acids)
• Extremely low moisture absorption
• Low coefficient of friction
• Self-lubricating
• Highly resistant to wear and abrasion
• Easy to fabricate and machine with common shop and woodworking tools
• Extends equipment life
• Reduced maintenance costs and energy consumptio

/ Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow #7  
I replaced the steel cutting edges on our Gator's V-plow with poly edge from FallLine.com I use that plow mainly to clear a packing pad that is made for pavers so that it doesn't get scratched up. The poly edge is holding up real well, but it is only about 1,000 sq feet area so I wouldn't expect much wear.

/ Rubber or Poly Cutting Edge for Kubota V 5060 Plow #8  
The type of edge you use really depends on what type of driveway you plow and how long you expect it to last.

FYI horse stall mat has no cords in it so it wont last one storm. I have tryed making a rubber center section for a fisher V plow. I did a tripple layer. By storm 2 they all broke off. I now use a bias ply tire tread for this and am on the second season.