Rules for roadway use

/ Rules for roadway use #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
Ill start out by saying I know practically nothing about tractors.

I see them on the road on occasion, just curious whats it take to legally drive one down the road and hold up all that traffic?

My wife asked me so I told her I would find out

/ Rules for roadway use #2  
Depending in which state you're in. Different states may have different rules with slow moving vehicles on public roads.
If third party insurance is required would be the next question.

/ Rules for roadway use #3  
If it has lights (headlights, tail, brake, and turn lights) plus horn and SMV sign, it’s legal on the road.
Every state I have lived in did have a law requiring any vehicle holding up 5 or more cars to pull over and let them pass when possible.

/ Rules for roadway use #4  
Depends on what state,just about every state does have law smv sign law...common sense both operators makes it safer for everyone.

/ Rules for roadway use #5  

I see them on the road on occasion, just curious whats it take to legally drive one down the road and hold up all that traffic?

Never seen one hold up too much traffic.

/ Rules for roadway use #6  
Never seen one hold up too much traffic.
Come up to Aroostook County during potato picking season. The harvesters are two lanes wide and can't really pull over.
Also DOT tractors aren't inclined to pull over when they have the chance, and can get quite a line of cars behind them.

Come to think of it, that last bit applies to DOT trucks a lot of the time. They aren't in any hurry to get anyplace and if you are behind them you better not be in a hurry either.

/ Rules for roadway use #7  

As said, each state may be different...typically during daylight hours (unless marked on primary roads) all that is required is an SMV sign...in a lot of states there are no age restrictions and do not require a drivers license for agriculture machines...

/ Rules for roadway use #8  
Come up to Aroostook County during potato picking season. The harvesters are two lanes wide and can't really pull over.
Also DOT tractors aren't inclined to pull over when they have the chance, and can get quite a line of cars behind them.

Come to think of it, that last bit applies to DOT trucks a lot of the time. They aren't in any hurry to get anyplace and if you are behind them you better not be in a hurry either.
Sometimes it goes with the territory, we get combines here taking up 2 lanes, but it happens so seldom. I have no problem getting behind farm machinery on the road. They have every bit of right to use it.

/ Rules for roadway use #9  
Are you supposed to put however many gallons of ON-road diesel in the tank before driving on an improved road?...just curious...:D

/ Rules for roadway use #10  
Sometimes it goes with the territory, we get combines here taking up 2 lanes, but it happens so seldom. I have no problem getting behind farm machinery on the road. They have every bit of right to use it.
Potato season is a big deal up there, they even start school two weeks early, then close down in September so that the students and faculty can work the harvest.
I don't think that somebody's complaints would be taken very seriously up there, either.