Run time on generator

/ Run time on generator #1  

twes36

Tractor
John Deere
Winding down the great freeze of 2021 in Texas. New generator came in handy with power loss. The only issue is run time on a tank of gas.

Ironton from Northern Tool
5500/7000 size
Tank holds 6.8 gallons
Paperwork says this should last 10.8 hours on half load
Running television and small heater - nothing big
Tank only lasted 6 hours

Is this normal?

/ Run time on generator #2  
We had a 4.4 kw generator. Its 4 gallon tank would go about 12 hours.

Now have a 12.5 kw Isuzu diesel. 60 gallon tank will go 10 days.

Ralph

/ Run time on generator #3  
some generators have a manual switch that allows it to run in a “low power” mode if the load is lessened as opposed to having the generator run at 100% all the time. Does your generator have such a switch?

/ Run time on generator #4  
Engine running rich? New engine not tuned perfect? I’m not a small engine guy.

/ Run time on generator #5  
Winding down the great freeze of 2021 in Texas. New generator came in handy with power loss. The only issue is run time on a tank of gas.

Ironton from Northern Tool
5500/7000 size
Tank holds 6.8 gallons
Paperwork says this should last 10.8 hours on half load
Running television and small heater - nothing big
Tank only lasted 6 hours

Is this normal?
Every small gas generator of around that size, that's not an inverter generator that I've been around, has used around a gallon of gas an hour, that's why MY small generator is an "inverter" generator.

SR

/ Run time on generator #6  
Generator is 5500 watts. 1/2 loaded is 2750 watts. Online manual says 9.5 hrs at 1/2 load.
What is the load you were putting on it?
Could be running rich. How do they come up with number, did you run it to the last drop? What type of gas? Ethanol?

/ Run time on generator #7  
I checked carefully, and your generator has an automatic load switch, that that controls engine RPM vs load.

So in your generator specs where it says:
Run time: 10.2 hours for 1/2 load. This is probably an inaccurate statement.

Unfortunately, my experience with generators is they will use about 1 gallon per hour. That's why for all future generators I will only get dual fuel gensets, that allows propane hookups as fuel source, and a 30lb propane tank is good for 2 full days of operation.

Last edited:
   / Run time on generator #8  
When it comes to cold, fuel consumption becomes the lesser worry compared to survival and comfort.

I run a 9000 watt genset and sure it costs $$ to run but when it's -25 frankly I don't give a darn.
OK, I can also enjoy some creature comforts as well (TV, 'net) but that's not the goal.
Survival is what it's all about.

It is about 20 CF freezer full of food, a week or 2 worth of food in the fridge, running sump pumps and having well water to flush the loo etc.

Long ago I decided my freezer and saved food alone would justify a generator and where I live I think I've proven that many time over.
In fact I 'blew' my 10 year old 5KW set and immediately replaced with my current 10KW.
Both with electric start and DIY linked to an intelligent charger at all times. Activated via a manual switchover and the genset linked outlets clearly identified in my house.

The only regret is I use gasoline as no natural gas here and diesel sets are very pricy but I learned to live with that.
Always use high test gas* and run dry after each event plus stabilizer has worked so far.
Keeping tank full also deters condensation.

* hi test has no alcohol content which is known to affect seals and rubber as well create rust in tanks.

/ Run time on generator #9  
I checked carefully, and your generator has an automatic load switch, that that controls engine RPM vs load.

So in your generator specs where it says:
Run time: 10.2 hours for 1/2 load. This is probably an inaccurate statement.

Unfortunately, my experience with generators is they will use about 1 gallon per hour. That's why for all future generators I will only get dual fuel gensets, that allows propane hookups as fuel source, and a 30lb propane tank is good for 2 full days of operation.
Have you actually tried to run your generator two full days on a 30lb tank of propane??

SR

/ Run time on generator #10  
Have you actually tried to run your generator two full days on a 30lb tank of propane??

SR
must be an awfully small generator. Those 30# tanks can freeze up badly. I cant see 2 days on one. The neighbor has a champion dual fuel, and quite a few tanks. I need to ask him how long between tanks. Still way cleaner running than gas. Easier on spark plugs and oil also.