Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #91  
I worked on a old self propelled New Holland baler back in the 1980s and ran perfect in the sho, but as soon as it was driven (bouncing/vibrations) in the field it died due to junk in the gas tank.

We had the tank cleaned and then it worked great, so that’s something to think about.

Last edited:
   / Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE
I worked on a old self propelled New Holland baler back in the 1980s and ran perfect in the sho, but as soon as it was driven (bouncing/vibrations) in the field it died due to junk in the gas tank.

We had the tank cleaned and then it worked great, so that’s something to think about.

Yes that’s something I’ve seriously considered especially since it was very humid and hot up here in the Catskills and I foolishly left the tank half full, unused for a few weeks waiting to get a new battery. If I end up sending it to the dealer I will have that done for sure. The likely have the equipment (like scopes) to see inside and also properly flush it. With a Sims cab on tractor, tank removal could be a nightmare.

Thanks for your input!

OK! Excellent idea (other than the “removing” part. I could still shop vac the outside screen thoroughly which I will do after this air filter test which now sounds like a failure as it has been running nearly 20 min at 1,500rpm and I can hear it start to die down. Once it dies…or close to it… I will shop vac as much of the rad and fans as I can. It happens ALWAYS when temp hit the midway pony on the gauge (in cab).

Thanks for your ideas!

Danica

I just took out screen in front of radiator and it was about 25% clogged so cleaned really well and replaced. Same result as before…runs 30 min then starts to vary speed until very slowly — over the course of 15 minutes — it goes down hill and I can’t push RPMs back up to 2000.

I’ve had it. Trouble is I called local CNH dealer and the guy seemed reluctant to even send his truck to pick it up for $200 round trip. That’s not the response I was looking for from a dealer (Chambers in Montgomery, NY). I have new fuel hoses on order and will try that and if it fails I will try another dealer who is a bit farther away.

Bummed my nearest dealership is so lazy.

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #94  
I just took out screen in front of radiator and it was about 25% clogged so cleaned really well and replaced. Same result as before…runs 30 min then starts to vary speed until very slowly — over the course of 15 minutes — it goes down hill and I can’t push RPMs back up to 2000.

I’ve had it. Trouble is I called local CNH dealer and the guy seemed reluctant to even send his truck to pick it up for $200 round trip. That’s not the response I was looking for from a dealer (Chambers in Montgomery, NY). I have new fuel hoses on order and will try that and if it fails I will try another dealer who is a bit farther away.

Bummed my nearest dealership is so lazy.
t-stat while you wait?;) If you were closer I would happily help.

Best,

ed

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #95  
If you are certain that it is temperature related have you looked to see how many temperature sensors are on your engine?
If you remove the wire from your sensor does your gauge peg out upscale or down scale?
Will your tractor start or run with the sensor unpluged?

If you are certain that it is temperature related have you looked to see how many temperature sensors are on your engine?
If you remove the wire from your sensor does your gauge peg out upscale or down scale?
Will your tractor start or run with the sensor unpluged?

I dk but I will try, Lou. It *acts fuel/air starved when it goes into this cycle and it always happens when temp hits exact same point on gauge. New filter, rad and screen filter cleaning improved whole cycle but not by much. My last hope is the new fuel lines.

I’m going to look around for an independent diesel mechanic. Heck, I should just enroll in the community college’s training program and do a career change!

t-stat while you wait?;) If you were closer I would happily help.

Best,

ed

Thanks Ed, I’d almost fly you here to do it given my exacerbation. I am missing the implication of “t-stat” still have the fuel lines en route from cnh. Hoping fedex was used.

The disgusting thing is I ran the global customer and dealer satisfaction programs for NH before the merger so know (knew) how the business works down to the SKU.

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #98  
Danica, since you did see a roughly 50% improvement in time before shut-down once you cleaned the large removable radiator screen, that leads me to believe your problem is definitely in that area. The fine stuff would still get thru the large screen, and could still be partially plugging the radiator, which would affecting the cooling. I would find a way to try a shine a light thru it and confirm if it is partially blocked, or not.

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #99  
Thanks Ed, I’d almost fly you here to do it given my exacerbation. I am missing the implication of “t-stat” still have the fuel lines en route from cnh. Hoping fedex was used.

The disgusting thing is I ran the global customer and dealer satisfaction programs for NH before the merger so know (knew) how the business works down to the SKU.
Sorry, and sure would like to help, I have boats, so I know how "fun" weird problems could be.

Since the problem seems to happen roughly at the time the engine reaches operating temperature, I would suggest pulling the thermostat out, replacing the housing, and running without it.

In no way do I believe this will "fix" ya, but, if the problem is related to the cooling system, I would expect it to change the run time so we have more information.

An engine under no load, with a properly functioning radiator, is unlikely to come up to operating temperature without a thermostat (or t-stat), so it might idle/high idle for hours. If in the unlikely event it is a head gasket/cracked head or block, I would assume the problem would happen much sooner.

Best,

ed

/ Runs nice and dies in 20 min UPDATE UPDATE #100  
Since the problem seems to happen roughly at the time the engine reaches operating temperature, I would suggest pulling the thermostat out, replacing the housing, and running without it.
Note: Running without a thermostat can cause overheating due to coolant not spending enough time in residence in the radiator to cool. This is one of the functions of a thermostat.