Rural porch pirates: ideas?

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #101  
My friend was charged with involuntary manslaughter and the trial lasted 8 days. It got a lot of attention and was in the paper for over a week. He was eventually convicted, fined and sentenced to 6 months in county jail. The sentence was appealed and reduced to community service but he still had to pay the fine. I forget how much but I remember it took him a long time to pay it.

That was over 50 years ago and unfortunately, the incident forever tainted my respect for our legal system.
I dunno...sounds like a fair punishment to me, unless you believe that someone should essentially receive the death penalty for stealing a car stereo.

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #102  
I dunno...sounds like a fair punishment to me, unless you believe that someone should essentially receive the death penalty for stealing a car stereo.
On stealing a car stereo--------------
They once stole mine and here in Quebec we have to make a 'contribution' to a victims fund.

The perp was caught but the Leo's recommended that I not make a claim since the perp would then know and very possibly want to take revenge.
Seems the 'fund' is but a temporary loan until the perp is caught.
If they don't catch him you can't claim.

In other words they get to use our money hoping the perps are never caught, and still call it 'voluntary contribution' that is not voluntary, like try to renew your plates without remitting to that fund.

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #103  
One problem with a booby-trapped package is the thief may come back and burn your house or car in retaliation.

Bruce
While I agree crooks sometimes retaliate,I try not letting that be a reason for alowing them to crowd me. Retaliation is terrorism and I believe when terrorist see that it works,they do it again/more. It's a tough call and there's situations where the prospect of retaliation will deter my actions,this isn't one of them.
Another problem with booby traps is the legal issue.
As much as I like the idea of trapping a criminal, I would check the laws where you live first.
Same as the thief,that is why I would take ever precaution to make sure I wasn't caught in the act.
If you did something like that (booby trap), the thief would not have to retaliate. After the court settlement, he would own your house, car, boat, land.
I wouldn't be dumb enough to put my name on the package or tell people it was my doings so it would require some effort in finding me to begin with. Finding and proving ownership of a random package take's some doing. The chances are pretty slim that a lawyer would hire investagators out of his pocket to find enough evidence to sue me. It's a gamble but I still like the odds.

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #104  
Heck yes, he was a damned thief

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #105  
My theory is security cameras are better for deterring opportunistic thieves rather than trying to catch them after the deed is done. I got a couple of these old Pelcos a few years ago when they were upgrading the cameras at work. Big and ugly but quite noticeable.

Outdoor Enclosure CCTV Camera Mount House New in Box Pelco EH3512/MT 12"

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #106  
My theory is security cameras are better for deterring opportunistic thieves rather than trying to catch them after the deed is done. I got a couple of these old Pelcos a few years ago when they were upgrading the cameras at work. Big and ugly but quite noticeable.

Now you need to update them.
Add a fake antenna and a blinking diode to join the trends.

LOL, I have that same unit very predominantly displayed. (mine blinks)
The real unit can't be seen.

My SIL has a stack of pole mounted bird houses and one has a camera inside that records thru the opening.
It transmits over the web and occasionally he calls to ask me to check out some activity.

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #107  

All things considered,I believe those cameras make more sense than a few ideas we have offered but some of us get bored and dream up ways to amuse ourselves. A friend with several tracts has cameras concealed so they aren't also stolen. His son edits and combine's several weeks worth survelance into 60 minutes worth. Things people do when they think noone is watching can make you cry one minute,cuss the next and rotflyao the next. The pictures have assisted his and neighbor's insurance companies but law inforcement hasn't been much help. After seeing that law wasn't interested in petty theft and vandalism much less illegal dumping,he sometimes instructed employees to geather trash,dump it in neighbors drive along with a note to the effect of "Mr X,I'm returning this property you lost Tuesday at 10;41am on CRxxxx." That caused one neighbor to bristle but for the most part had the desirable effect. I partly blame counties that don't provide for easily disposing of paint,tires,appliances and some other items.

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #108  
All things considered,I believe those cameras make more sense than a few ideas we have offered but some of us get bored and dream up ways to amuse ourselves. A friend with several tracts has cameras concealed so they aren't also stolen. His son edits and combine's several weeks worth survelance into 60 minutes worth. Things people do when they think noone is watching can make you cry one minute,cuss the next and rotflyao the next. The pictures have assisted his and neighbor's insurance companies but law inforcement hasn't been much help. After seeing that law wasn't interested in petty theft and vandalism much less illegal dumping,he sometimes instructed employees to geather trash,dump it in neighbors drive along with a note to the effect of "Mr X,I'm returning this property you lost Tuesday at 10;41am on CRxxxx." That caused one neighbor to bristle but for the most part had the desirable effect. I partly blame counties that don't provide for easily disposing of paint,tires,appliances and some other items.
Our county provides disposal of that sort of stuff, at a rather stiff dump fee. The result is lots of stuff dumped along rural roads. If it is reported the county road crew comes out and picks it up. Still can't figure out how they think it saves money to charge.

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #109  
Our county provides disposal of that sort of stuff, at a rather stiff dump fee. The result is lots of stuff dumped along rural roads. If it is reported the county road crew comes out and picks it up. Still can't figure out how they think it saves money to charge.
Whatcom and Skagit counties provide the service for free, including old tires, oil, paint antifreeze etc. There is a per trip limit, 5 gallons of oil and 4 tires, etc. Cleaning up where I used to live I found about 10 old tires and disposed of then in three trips to the solid waste site in Burlington.

/ Rural porch pirates: ideas? #110  
Whatcom and Skagit counties provide the service for free, including old tires, oil, paint antifreeze etc. There is a per trip limit, 5 gallons of oil and 4 tires, etc. Cleaning up where I used to live I found about 10 old tires and disposed of then in three trips to the solid waste site in Burlington.
We pay I think $100/yr on our property taxes for tis kind of service. We also get every other week curb side pick up of normal household recyclables as part of that fee. I do not know what the per trip limits are but they are designed to prevent a business from off loading all their disposal costs on the county. Seems iike this should be a universal thing.