rust on rims!

/ rust on rims! #1  

Old_Chipper

Had a flat on my John Deere, When they pulled the tire, rim had heavy rust inside. I had this rim blasted, primed (2 coats of the red stuff) then sprayed with 2 coats of the JD yellow. about a year ago. This is off a 85HP, big 36" rim. I don't use water in them. Why would it rust so soon? What do you use to coat the rim inside?
thanks

/ rust on rims! #2  
You get moisture in the air from your compressor. I'd try painting with POR, it's worked for me in situations like this.

/ rust on rims! #3  
Run the air through a water separator. Or fill with something else. Isn't that the new thing with cars. I worked for someone who filled mobile home tires with a propane bottle.

/ rust on rims! #5  
Was the tank just a conversion to be a portable compressed air tank? That is pretty common.

Ken
I misunderstood. We used a 20lb. bottle of propane with no regulator. It let us fill a lot of tires where no electricity was available.

Last edited:
   / rust on rims! #6  
Had a flat on my John Deere, When they pulled the tire, rim had heavy rust inside. I had this rim blasted, primed (2 coats of the red stuff) then sprayed with 2 coats of the JD yellow. about a year ago. This is off a 85HP, big 36" rim. I don't use water in them. Why would it rust so soon? What do you use to coat the rim inside?
thanks

assuming tubeless, then it was probably condensed moisture from the air / air compressor.

I like to paint rims with epoxy paint after cleaning them up and using a rust converting primer.

I'd think your clean/prime/2 coats of paint should be good. paint protects metal..

soundguy