RV's What is the Attraction?

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
RV\'s What is the Attraction?

My wife and I are considering buying a trailer, well she is, I am not. Please do not take this the wrong way BUT I do not understand the attraction of a motor home or a pull trailer. You stay in a park with your neighbor 10 feet away and get to listen to his AC running all night. They charge you to stay at a park, cost of the trailer, vehicle to tow it with, $$ for gas, you get to clean and cook the entire trip. If you spent say $80K on a unit, I know you can spend a lot more or less. But if you stayed at a nice hotel say $100 a night and ate at a fine restaurant for $75, you can spend 457 days on the road. We just came back from a 3 week vacation and stayed at a Marriott Hotel with 2 bedrooms, full kitchen, with a sitting room in the Boston area for a $100 a night.

What are the benefits of owning a trailer? I have been to all of the lower 48 states by car/minivan and usually take 6 weeks of vacation each year. Am I missing something not having a RV??? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

HELP, wife is talking about this ALOT. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #2  
Re: RV\'s What is the Attraction?

Tom,

I'm not an RV'er, but my wife and I have discussed the very thing you're talking about. In fact, the very points you bring up are pretty much the same things we discuss.

We've not yet made a decision about doing anything, but we certainly have talked with a lot of people about it. We've decided that the best way to get a better understanding of the whole thing is to rent a motor home for a 2 or 3 week vacation. We always drive on our vacations anyway, because we love seeing the country. But obviously we've never lived in what we were driving. We'll probably do this after I retire next year.

Maybe you and your wife should consider this also. It certainly would help to answer some of your questions. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #3  

Buy her the RV. Then you can buy a truck to drag your tractor with. I mean drag the RV. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #4  

We've been RV vacationing for about five years now. We love it but it's not for everyone. Advantages for us are:

Ability to take far more "stuff" with you (important with kids).
Always sleep in our own bed.
Cook most of our own meals ($ savings, and I enjoy cooking).
Closer to the fresh air and out of doors.
Always have a clean bathroom with us when driving.
Enjoy a new location but have the familiarity of the camper.

Disadvantages:

Mileage.
Initial investment (we have an entry level fifth wheel so this wasn't too bad).
Where do you keep the thing when you're not using it?

There are many other pros/cons. For us, it was a welcome upgrade from tenting. We're just not the hotel/resort type people. If you're not sure try a rental. It can be a big investment, particularly for a motor home, so you better be sure /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #5  

I'm with you on this, and fortunately so is Wifey. My In-laws were really big into their travel trailer, and kept offering us the use of it until we gave in. It was parked about an hour away at a nice camp. We stayed there for a couple days and just couldn't wait to get back home. It was a decent sized (24') trailer, but felt very cramped. I still remember banging my elbows on the shower stall when I used it. Different people enjoy different things. I like hotel rooms myself........chim

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #6  

We've thought about it but just can't seem to see the benefit either. Of course I don't understand the whole time share thing either. Restaurants and maid service are what I'm looking for on vacation. I have the rest of the year to cook and clean!!!

Here's something I wonder about on all our trips. Why are so many RV parks literally feet from the expressway??? That can't be very relaxing with all of that vehicle noise. I can't even tolerate staying at hotels that close to the highway! Also, why do so many travel trailers seem to be permanently installed at those highway side RV parks??

For those considering getting a travel trailer a must see movie is "The Long Long Trailer" with Lucille Ball and Desi Arnez......it's dated a bit but funny just the same!!

Jeff

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #7  

The best way I can sum up the attraction to an RV versus a nice hotel or motel is: Where would you rather spend your vacation - A nice hotel in NYC (or any other major city), or a rustic lodge in the mountains? Each has it's benefits. Personally, I would choose the rustic lodge; like I would choose an RV vacation versus a hotel. It's about enjoying the outdoors. Every meal is a picnic. Meeting some nice neighbors, etc. If you have an RV with a slide-out or two, they can really be roomy. There's nothing like having that first cup of coffee in the morning to the smell of pine trees and bacon cooking in the next campsite. (I guess unless you live in the pine trees and your wife loves to cook bacon).

I have a wife and best friend who would choose the hotel route and make the exact same argument to me. Not that I will never ever want to spend my vacations in a nice hotel or motel - once in a while is OK. For each his own, I guess.

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #8  

My wife bought a camper trailer off a relative. I think her attraction was that she could take her lap dogs with her and she does not have to maintain or pull the beast /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ RV's What is the Attraction? #9  

We have a truck camper. It's well used out at our lake site as there is no cabin.

For fixed holiday time I'd think the hotel route may be the way to go. Driving an RV can be a hassle at timers.

For lotsa time like retired the RV may be a better option.

Then there are holidays in remote locations where RV's and Hotel service is not available.

Egon

Last edited:
   / RV's What is the Attraction? #10  

8NTX, in answer to your question about why the RV parks are so near the interstate - simple, that's the only place municipalities will let them park.

There's a whole faction of anti-RV thought out there and it starts with 'visibility'.

I know of villiages and towns who have many ordinances/zoning laws that probhit RVs of ANY KIND, for starters, your ability to park YOUR RV on YOUR PROPERTY/DRIVEWAY unless enclosed in a building, etc. Parking a motorhome or trailer in your driveway is taboo in many parts of suburban FL.

Fortunately, these same places will allow a tractor in the drive though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif