S&R Pro Chip 2469P - knife sharpening

/ S&R Pro Chip 2469P - knife sharpening #1  

arto98607

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota F3060, Grasshopper 721D, Ford 1310, John Deere 440 ICD, John Deere 300
I bought this S&R chipper used back in 1998 and have been delaying knife sharpening for couple of years, due to reluctance of shipping them out to someone not having previously dealt with.

Earlier this month I located what looks like very competent sharpening shop close-by and so far am very happy of the work they did!

Changing the knives in S&R Pro Chip is really not very hard to do, after you remove the inlet chute and swing the feed roller out of the way. There is also easy to remove access plate on the PTO side.

Sharp knives made a huge difference on how easily & steady the feed roller is able to feed in fir branches. It is also noticeable how much less engine power is required - my Ford 1310 has only 19 hp engine!
Normally anything over around 2.5 inches diameter is used for firewood.

Obviously a modern new chipper with hydraulic driven feeder & clam-shell design would be nice to have, but as long as the knives are reasonably sharp this will do fine!
Also this chipper is a good mach for this tractor, due to the belt drive input shaft height matching the PTO height in my tractor (about 15 inches off the ground).

IE. Some of the new chippers I have looked at have their input shaft at about 22 inches off the ground which would not be as suitable.

Thinking.jpg

IMG_5758.JPG
IMG_5759.JPG

5768.png
5770.png

IMG_5766.JPG

S&R Pro Chip_Sales_Brochure_Page_1.jpg

S&R Pro Chip_Sales_Brochure_Page_2.jpg

/ S&R Pro Chip 2469P - knife sharpening #2  
I sharpened my Woodmaxx 8H knives for the first time. I have two sets and rotate every 20 hours so one set gets me 40 hours. The first set I sharpened by using machinists blue and an angle grinder. The blue was to ensure that I hit all of the ground edge so I could keep it at about the same angle. Rotating the knives frequently means they're either just a little dull or only lightly chipped and either way don't need a lot of material taken off to get sharp. Using the blue and grinder method took two rounds.

For the second set I tried using a sanding disc as show in a video by a local arborist. It resulted in a sharper edge though I needed to use a diamond stone to clean it up.

I think I can go a couple home sharpenings before I have to have them ground.

/ S&R Pro Chip 2469P - knife sharpening
Yes for sure it can be done at home as you described.

I have spare knife sets as well, but have decided not to sharpen them myself.

/ S&R Pro Chip 2469P - knife sharpening #4  
I'm always sharpening chipper knives for commercial tree companies, I own a knife sharpening machine. I get them in by the box full usually because commercial tree companies usually have 3 or 4 complete sets on hand, just in case so they can change out quickly. Typically, they will get down to their last set and then I get them dropped off and they want them back yesterday. Back when I had a PTO driven chipper, my knives were always razor sharp. A sharp knife ground at the correct angle, produces a nice chip with no stringing You can literally shave with the ones I grind. In fact I break the edge slightly with an oil stone just because they come out of the machine too sharp to handle. Besides knives, I also do the anvils. A sharp knife and a beat up anvil is no good. Anvils have to have square edges with no inclusions in them. Least with the anvil's you have 4 working sides to deal with.

/ S&R Pro Chip 2469P - knife sharpening #5  
I bought this S&R chipper used back in 1998 and have been delaying knife sharpening for couple of years, due to reluctance of shipping them out to someone not having previously dealt with.

Earlier this month I located what looks like very competent sharpening shop close-by and so far am very happy of the work they did!

Changing the knives in S&R Pro Chip is really not very hard to do, after you remove the inlet chute and swing the feed roller out of the way. There is also easy to remove access plate on the PTO side.

Sharp knives made a huge difference on how easily & steady the feed roller is able to feed in fir branches. It is also noticeable how much less engine power is required - my Ford 1310 has only 19 hp engine!
Normally anything over around 2.5 inches diameter is used for firewood.

Obviously a modern new chipper with hydraulic driven feeder & clam-shell design would be nice to have, but as long as the knives are reasonably sharp this will do fine!
Also this chipper is a good mach for this tractor, due to the belt drive input shaft height matching the PTO height in my tractor (about 15 inches off the ground).

IE. Some of the new chippers I have looked at have their input shaft at about 22 inches off the ground which would not be as suitable.

View attachment 730389

View attachment 730351View attachment 730352

View attachment 730353View attachment 730354

View attachment 730355

View attachment 730356

View attachment 730357
That unit is almost a dead wringer for the Jinma 8" power feed Chinese chipper, except for the color of the paint. Samee drive, same 2 blade flywheel, same shielding and same stand as well as the Woodmax basic PTO chipper.

/ S&R Pro Chip 2469P - knife sharpening
That unit is almost a dead wringer for the Jinma 8" power feed Chinese chipper, except for the color of the paint. Samee drive, same 2 blade flywheel, same shielding and same stand as well as the Woodmax basic PTO chipper.

Yes Jinma looks like a close copy of S&R chipper.

When I bought mine used back in year 1998 at a JD dealer, I was told S&R Pro Chip is the old Machete design but improved.
I think Danuser also was making, or at least selling the same design chippers for couple of years.

Here is a link to an old thread showing photo of an old Machete chipper:

Chipper - Machete Wood chipper