Sad reminder of the importance of welding

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding #21  
"...Needless to say the welder is still in jail..."

I am having a hard time believing that this story is real, or at least not "embellished."

Exactly what criminal infraction would the welder have been charged with?

While I don't dispute the notion that a welder better know how to weld, if welding something of a critical nature, this story lacks credibility.
Posted two days ago by a new member with no location given @' The $3 lesson

Anytime I get a forwarded email with a vague story like this, I try it on urban legends or snopes. Haven't found this one but here's a real event on Miami Injury Lawyer Blog :: Published by South Florida Injury Lawyer :: Miami-Dade County Accident Attorney :: Friedland Law Group worse.

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding
He's from Rutland Vermont if that helps your story search.

I like to use Snopes too - sometime interesting to just browse stories there. :)

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding #23  
Why would someone want to start a thread to re-post a post of a far fetched welding horror story, originally posted by someone who just claimed to be on day 2 of learning how to weld?

Is TBN the National Inquirer now?

While the story is less than credible, in my opinion, the intent is probably honorable; take your welding seriously.

I suspect the person ultimately responsible for the story ("Lighttekku", or maybe the guy in the scrapyard, or maybe someone else) was just trying to emphasis safety.

I can't find fault with the intent of the message, although the delivery of the message doesn't help the cause.

A personal note: in June I bought a new trailer from a small "mom & pop" shop. The guy told me repeatedly that he had been building trailers for over 20 years and KNEW how to build trailers. Anyway, the trailer was supposed to be delivered with a matching spare tire and was not, so I had to drive out to the shop to pick up the tire. When I arrived, I found his two kids, one maybe 18 or 20, the other about 10 or 12, building trailers. Unsupervised.

So far, haven't noticed any big issues with my trailer.

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding #24  
When I arrived, I found his two kids, one maybe 18 or 20, the other about 10 or 12, building trailers. Unsupervised.

So far, haven't noticed any big issues with my trailer.

suspicious , yes .... but it doesn't mean they can't do good welds ( may have even been taught in shop class to do it correctly.... or were shown how to correctly by pop and have been doing it for years ) ....

a machine at work broke down ( overloaded as usual ) ... I was repairing it and had finally had it tack welded back in place before lunch ... ( keys out , tagged as "out of service" ) ... they needed it during lunch ( as usual ) and put it back in service .... of course the tacks let go as they tried to lift something and the boss was spitting nails when I got back ..... looked him straight in the eye , showed him the key and pointed to the "out of service" tag ... then asked him why they took the unit before it was ready for service .... "it looked OK " was the answer ... it eventually got fixed and welded up with gussets ....

can't fix stupid .... they managed to tip the unit over 2 weeks later cause it didn't break like before ....

was at a farm on the weekend , the 2" drawbar from the factory had sheared in two .. no defects found , nothing bent everything looked good ... he was pulling the gravity grain trailer around on his property , getting ready to drive down to the mill..... welds were fine , reinforced at the right places , well designed ... no occlusions in the metal.... it just broke ...

so SH*T happens ... no use in worrying about what might happen .... know what you are doing , and do it well ....

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding #25  
just for the record...'snopes' is hardly the clearing house for factual truths...

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding #27  
you mean aliens do exist in the forests of the Sahara ?

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding #29  
just for the record...'snopes' is hardly the clearing house for factual truths...
No they aren't ... nor do they purport to be ...

They are however a good site for debunking untrue myths which have no basis in reality.

/ Sad reminder of the importance of welding #30  
you mean aliens do exist in the forests of the Sahara ?

Actually, there is a forest in the Sahara. It's in the Great Sand Sea in Libya & Egypt. Thing is, all the trees are petrified. And the only aliens are either Egyptians or Libyans crossing illegally between the two.