SAE30 year round in a CK25?

/ SAE30 year round in a CK25? #1  

Gittyup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25 Shuttle Shift, loaded tires, JD X739
Will it be harmful to use straight SAE30 universal diesel engine oil in my CK25? Winter temperature are rarely in the teens, and I won't be running it when it's colder than about 20.

/ SAE30 year round in a CK25? #2  
I think straight 30 will be to heavy for the winter starts. The engine probably will crank a little slower but more importantly, you want to get the oil flowing to all the parts as soon as it fires. 30 weight just can move that fast when it's 20 or 30F. There are good multi weights that will give you all the protection you need.

/ SAE30 year round in a CK25? #5  
Gittyup said:
members only
I was afraid of that, I posted a copy in my PHOTOS area. I have had no success in posting links to the photos area in a post so it would show up without having to go look for it.

/ SAE30 year round in a CK25?
Thanks for the diagram. How is the time affected by oil pressure?

What puzzles me is my JD manual calls out SAE30 heavy duty for year round use (20 HP Kawasaki). And at the local TSC, there is very little choice other than synth or SAE30..... Maybe they're just always out, but I don't ever see a place holder for 5w40 (except for synthetic) nor 5w30.

/ SAE30 year round in a CK25? #7  
I have no problem with cheap gallons of delo 400 15w-40 in my CK's engine. I have similar climate with very occasional dips into the teens but mostly 30-70 degree temps. You can find this good quality multi-viscosity Chevron oil almost anywhere that diesel oil is sold. I buy mine at walmart or NAPA.

I don't even use straight grade oil in my lawn mower.