Safety Chain ?s

/ Safety Chain ?s #1  

tshep

Gold Member
Tractor
BX23 MLB
If the secondary goal for safety chains is to catch the tongue before it digs into the the pavement...
Why not a series of laterals like tire chains?
Why not positioned and shortened so as to not allow travel to the pavement?

/ Safety Chain ?s #3  
I don't understand how a series of laterals would work when the trailer tongue is perpendicular to the truck hitch. Can you explain further?

They are supposed to be crossed under the tongue and then connected to the hitch on the opposite side they are attached to the trailer tongue, so they cradle the tongue if the ball disconnects and ideally/hopefully the tongue doesn't dig into the pavement. Preventing the trailer from detaching while the tow vehicle comes to a stop is more the goal than protecting the pavement though.

/ Safety Chain ?s
The 'crossed' scheme seems really chancey. Seems like a lot of opportunity for the tongue to slip through on initial 'hit', and then again each speed up or slow down.
I was thinking....
|........|
|........|
|........|
|------|
|------|
|------|
|------|
|........|
|........|
|........|

would guarantee catching the tongue. (Ignore periods, system collapsed spaces.)

/ Safety Chain ?s #5  
When turning, crossed chains get relieved. Straight chains would have to be longer to avoid reaching maximum pull during turning and maneuvering. The longer the chains, the more likely they will get damaged being drug on the roadway. Even crossed and twisted, the chains on my dump trailer hit the roadway when I pull out of the driveway.

/ Safety Chain ?s #6  
The 'crossed' scheme seems really chancey. Seems like a lot of opportunity for the tongue to slip through on initial 'hit', and then again each speed up or slow down.
I was thinking....
|........|
|........|
|........|
|------|
|------|
|------|
|------|
|........|
|........|
|........|

would guarantee catching the tongue. (Ignore periods, system collapsed spaces.)

Not worth debating. Crossed chains of the proper length work. Figure it out.