Safety doesn't care if your forgetful

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #11  
Hello,

Hope all is well with everyone. Wanted to share a misshap I recently had with my tractor.

Took the tractor out of storage last week. Had it in the shed with a trickle charger and the ROPS up. To get it out I had to fold the ROPS but I dropped one of the pins behind the BH and couldn't find it.

Drove it around the property a little and then parked it in the garage for maintenance.

My wife's son and I looked for the pin in the yard and found it, he wanted to know what it's fore so I put the ROPS up and just inserted the pin just to show him.

Two days later I started up the tractor and went behind it to raise the stabilizer arms. While the arm was going up thats when the pin fell out and hit me on the head.

Saw stars and heard ringing on top of the extreme pain on my head for a couple minutes. A week later it's still discolored and sore.

My lesson is always put locking pins even if your just showing it to someone.

This could have killed me, the ROPS is heavy as heck.
When i injure myself, i always think of a hundred ways i could have avoided it. I wear many scars to prove i am a do-it yourself, forgetful, human. Plus I always look to see if anyone saw me…

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #12  
Plus I always look to see if anyone saw me…
yup...no way to make the accident look like a fishing tale if you are seen.

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #14  
A ROPS with a single pin? That's a first for me.

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #15  
My wife says I am accident prone, I don't know, maybe. I get cut a lot. I was at a doctors office one day about a year or so ago and a nurse was doing the weight and blood pressure thing. She mentioned all the scars and I said hell, those aren't scars you should see my legs. She got all serious and said that we have to report your cutting to the doctor.

I got confused and upset, took a bit to convince her I was not a cutter but a farmer and small cuts are common and I scar easy.

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #16  
If you repair cars for a living, there are opportunities to make these kinds of mistakes all day. So, a good rule of thumb is to always avoid a situation where you start to do a particular task, but do not complete it.

Another example would be, don't put a wheel on a car, unless you are going to complete the task, and fully fasten that wheel, at that time. It's easy to see that a wheel isn't on the car, and remember you need to put it on, if you got distracted. But, it's impossible to see you didn't fully tighten the lug nuts.

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #18  
If you repair cars for a living, there are opportunities to make these kinds of mistakes all day. So, a good rule of thumb is to always avoid a situation where you start to do a particular task, but do not complete it.

Another example would be, don't put a wheel on a car, unless you are going to complete the task, and fully fasten that wheel, at that time. It's easy to see that a wheel isn't on the car, and remember you need to put it on, if you got distracted. But, it's impossible to see you didn't fully tighten the lug nuts.
dropping a few transfer cases on chest and dodge 318 onto foot (foot between engine and frame had to lift engine by hand to free it. that hurt ) come to mind.
sadly the engine and 2 of the 3 transfer cases on chest (last one 2017) were in front of witnesses so I could not make up a "fishing" story about it them.

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #19  
I learned some time ago to check twice and then safety wire, brace or block off. Anything that can bite you will. I have 4 stacks of short 2x6s and 8s that I use to support tractor attachments.
Contractors wanted to burn everything, I cleaned up the shop and house build site every day.

/ Safety doesn't care if your forgetful #20  
And....the guy I do some work for put a wheel on a car last Thursday, and didn't tighten it. 🤷‍♂️

Funny, I was just talking about that..

Last edited: