Safety Features for a Barn

/ Safety Features for a Barn #1  

OrangeAgain

Silver Member
Tractor
2015 Kioti RX7320PC, 1983 Kubota L275 4WD, 1981 John Deere 2440 2WD row crop tractor
We have a 1950s dairy barn that is used for storage (tractors, attachments & personal items) and two barn cats. The barn has an 2-story addition, built in 2012.
Although the 2-story barn addition (1st floor = guest bedroom + garage / workshop / 2nd floor = 1BR apartment) has smoke/fire detectors, I want to install additional safety features especially in the barn.

I'd love to hear what other folks have done in their barns.

Attachments

• 5805 Creek Road Barn & Addition.jpg
    5805 Creek Road Barn & Addition.jpg
    398.8 KB · Views: 75
   / Safety Features for a Barn #2  
I guess I’m not sure what you have in mind? Two things that come to mind is carbon monoxide detector and maybe check the wiring with something that old.

/ Safety Features for a Barn #4  
Nice barn! Besides what others have mentioned, fire extinguishers at the exits.

/ Safety Features for a Barn #5  
Nice barn!

I don't know much about barns or what you personally store in yours, but is a sprinkler system worth while? Seems like a barn that larger and that nice would be impossible to re-build. Also if you did have a fire, the sprinkler system would protect / help people that could be trapped in there. It's a big place and it could be quite a trek to get to the nearest door.

/ Safety Features for a Barn #6  
An old neighbors barn burned down a long while ago. He had just pulled in his tractor and something blew into the hot engine. Worked up so quick by the time the fire department showed, it was a total loss. And the fire department was only a mile away.

I do not park hot stuff in my barns and outbuildings. Same for flammables.

/ Safety Features for a Barn #7  
1) Something is better than nothing.
2) No matter what you do, you can always do more.
3) There’s no singular answer. Risk tolerance is a very personal thing, and avoiding risk comes at an expense.

That being said, I’d put having insurance as the #1 thing.

Fire alarms are mostly for saving people, letting them know to get out of the building, rather than for property protection. ….even if it automatically dials a 24hr monitoring, the fire department or you, there’s still the problem of having to do something about it.
…but you have to detect fire before you can fight it, especially if you’re not there.

As important is needing water to fight it. When seconds count, the FD is minutes away.

My first line of defense would be to have fire hoses available.
This raises questions on what is your water supply and size of line, freeze protection, etc.. Fire pump? Nearby pond with a pump connection?

IMHO, water sprinklers have many pros and cons. They distribute water regardless if you there or not. That is good if there’s a fire, not if a busted/frozen sprinkler head, etc.. Again, same questions as to what is your water supply? Dry/air charged sprinkler systems are also available for cold environments. There’s a trade off to have a heat source (fire hazard) to keep a water systems unfrozen.

Then there’s things like lightning protection for the building, and transient spike (lightning / surge) arrestors for the electrical panel. Or an exterior disconnect switch so there is no electricity in the building when not there.

Again, how far do you want to get into it?

Last edited:
   / Safety Features for a Barn #8  
Unless you are in the really Deep South the sprinkler would need to be a dry system, and generally wherever there is a building like that it is on a well, and would require many thousands of gallons of storage. therefore if there is a fire the power is disconnected and therefore no water. Some people just like to throw stupid ideas out to make them sound smart

/ Safety Features for a Barn #9  
I've been trying out some security type cameras. The Wyze and Blink from Amazon, either would be pretty well suited for your application. The Wyze is a stand alone plug in while the Blink cameras are battery with an AC powered sync module. Both are internet so you'd need a wifi router in the area. I also use a Spypoint cellular camera in a storage shed. Can go battery or powered. Doesn't need internet. All three have free limited plans but pretty cheap for the higher option plans and have motion detection or video/photo on demand. Not to be mistaken for a full blown security system but work pretty well to keep an eye on stuff.

/ Safety Features for a Barn #10  
I would add emergency lights so you can see if the power goes out. Make sure your address is visible for the fireman to see. You might also post a sign to indicate if the building is occupied or empty. It sounded like it might be a guest room and not occupied 100% of the time. As for the second story an escape ladder might come in handy.

A map or diagram that shows the location of the nearest water supply would be helpful. Contact info would also be helpful in an emergency posted with the water supply map. Place the info on the side of the barn if you do want the info seen from the street.