Safety Gear

/ Safety Gear #1  

Parkanzky

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2032R
I'm sure this has been covered over and over again, but I'm hoping for some advice from the experts here.

I purchased a new saw to clean up the down and standing dead trees at our new home. I've done a lot of cutting this past couple months and getting safety gear has always been on my list of things to do. No more procrastinating.

Unfortunately, this stuff is very hard to shop for online.

I am looking for a helmet with a face shield and built-in hearing protection. I want the helmet to have an adjustment knob on the back, like my welding helmet or my nicer bike helmets have. Not the snap-adjustment that some cheaper hard hats have. I'd also like to be able to replace the ear muffs with Peltor's WorkTunes or a similar style, but that's not a must have. I have looked at Stihl's helmet at the local dealer but it had the "snap" adjustment system so I didn't buy it. Somebody has told me that they have a model with the knob. I'd have purchased that if it had been there. But I look online and I can't tell which is which from their website. Husqvarna makes a couple models too, and then there are a bunch of brands I've never heard of. Can somebody point me at what I should order?

I also want some leg protection. I am always wearing Carhartt coveralls when I work outdoors. If I could get a set of coveralls with chainsaw protection built into the legs (and maybe even other places like arms/chest), then I'd buy them. But I've never seen anything like that. Instead, it looks like my choices are pants or chaps. I'd still like to wear my coveralls, so it sounds like I want chaps to go over them. I've looked around online, but again I can't figure out what to buy. Stihl sells a few different varieties and I can't really tell the difference between them. Then there are options from a bunch of brands. It looks like some are waterproof (Stihl Pro Mark?) and some aren't. I would rather have a set that water doesn't soak into. What does everybody have and like?

I have a pair of cut resistant gloves, but I don't wear them because I prefer my Tillman Truefit and Ultra Truefit style of glove with the velcro wrists. Do they make chainsaw gloves in that "Mechanics glove" style? Is a decent pair of steel or composite toe boots good enough or should I buy something with "chainsaw" in the name?

Anything else I should consider? I want to make sure that everything I buy is comfortable and as easy to use as possible so that I actually use it all.

/ Safety Gear #2  
I'm sure this has been covered over and over again, but I'm hoping for some advice from the experts here.

I purchased a new saw to clean up the down and standing dead trees at our new home. I've done a lot of cutting this past couple months and getting safety gear has always been on my list of things to do. No more procrastinating.

Unfortunately, this stuff is very hard to shop for online.

I am looking for a helmet with a face shield and built-in hearing protection. I want the helmet to have an adjustment knob on the back, like my welding helmet or my nicer bike helmets have. Not the snap-adjustment that some cheaper hard hats have. I'd also like to be able to replace the ear muffs with Peltor's WorkTunes or a similar style, but that's not a must have. I have looked at Stihl's helmet at the local dealer but it had the "snap" adjustment system so I didn't buy it. Somebody has told me that they have a model with the knob. I'd have purchased that if it had been there. But I look online and I can't tell which is which from their website. Husqvarna makes a couple models too, and then there are a bunch of brands I've never heard of. Can somebody point me at what I should order?

I also want some leg protection. I am always wearing Carhartt coveralls when I work outdoors. If I could get a set of coveralls with chainsaw protection built into the legs (and maybe even other places like arms/chest), then I'd buy them. But I've never seen anything like that. Instead, it looks like my choices are pants or chaps. I'd still like to wear my coveralls, so it sounds like I want chaps to go over them. I've looked around online, but again I can't figure out what to buy. Stihl sells a few different varieties and I can't really tell the difference between them. Then there are options from a bunch of brands. It looks like some are waterproof (Stihl Pro Mark?) and some aren't. I would rather have a set that water doesn't soak into. What does everybody have and like?

I have a pair of cut resistant gloves, but I don't wear them because I prefer my Tillman Truefit and Ultra Truefit style of glove with the velcro wrists. Do they make chainsaw gloves in that "Mechanics glove" style? Is a decent pair of steel or composite toe boots good enough or should I buy something with "chainsaw" in the name?

Anything else I should consider? I want to make sure that everything I buy is comfortable and as easy to use as possible so that I actually use it all.

I bought my chaps and helmet system from Gemplers, they sell a lot of safety stuff. I wear welding gloves, and always safety shoes, mine are hi top steel toes. My helmet paid off pretty big last year, I pulled a branch and another that I never saw fell out of a tree, hitting my helmet really hard, if I hadn't worn the helmet, I might not be here.

/ Safety Gear #3  
Well, lets see. When I cut with my saws, its - leather gloves, Carhartt jeans with double thickness front legs, safety glasses, ear plugs and my 'ol Kubota baseball hat.

You see - either I'm thinning Ponderosa pines less than 6" in diameter or I'm falling the big ones - - 24" to 38".

I've had the double leg Carhartt jeans stop my chain saw more than once.

I wear my Redwing Irish Setter boots - they provide a level of protection and being light it lets me move pretty fast if I have to.

/ Safety Gear #4  

The hard hats with the internal harness that adjusts by the knob located at the back are nice. That harness type is referred to as a rachet-style harness. You simply turn the knob to tighten or loosen the harness fit on your head. I seem to always be adjusting mine depending on when I had my last haircut, if I'm also wearing a cap underneath it, etc. I prefer using a screen shield attached to the front of the hard hat rather than a solid plastic face shield. They aren't as hot to wear and don't steam up. Here is an example: Amazon.com : Chainsaw Protective Safety Helmet Hard Hat / Ear Muffs / Face Shield : Chain Saw Bar And Chain Oil : Patio, Lawn & Garden

BarnieTrk

/ Safety Gear #5  
I also prefer the screen or "metal mesh" shield on a forestry helmet. I wear clear safety glasses under the mesh shield and don't get any fogging. Look for muffs with the highest NRR. The muffs that came with my Stihl helmet are only 24 db NRR, but I'd look for something closer to 30 db NRR.

Chaps? Any chainsaw chaps are better than none and indeed are better than Carhartts that don't have dedicated chain jamming fibers. I'm a big fan of Labonville 6-ply full-wrap chaps. They cost just a little more, but they are better made than the least expensive models out there. Just make sure to FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS on how to measure the length you need.

There are some nice dedicated chainsaw boots with steel toes and kevlar uppers that are on my wish list, but for now, steel toe work boots are on my feet every time I operate a saw.

/ Safety Gear
Very helpful posts everyone! It's really helped me to narrow my focus.

For the helmet, I'm trying to choose between the Oregon Pro Forestry Helmet:

Oregon Pro Forestry Helmet System | Forestry | Helmets & Headgear | www.baileysonline.com

and the Rockman Premium Lumberjack System:

Premium Rockman Lumberjack System | Forestry | Helmets & Headgear | www.baileysonline.com

I'm leaning toward the Oregon helmet just because it looks a bit less bulky.

For the chaps, I have about settled on the "normal" Labonville chaps:

Labonville Chainsaw Safety Chaps | Chaps | Forestry Chaps | www.baileysonline.com

My thinking is that they'll be more comfortable than the full-wrap version since I'll be wearing them over insulated coveralls.

Thoughts?

/ Safety Gear #8  
On boots remember the dedicated boot offers much mor protection than just the steel toe protection.

Comfort and safety are not always compatible.

/ Safety Gear
Thanks for the advice everybody. I ordered the Oregon helmet and the normal (not full-wrap) Labonville chaps from Bailey's. I also ordered a set of chaps as a gift for a friend that often comes over to help me cut (he already has a helmet).

I'll look into the boots. I need new work boots already, but my feet are hard to fit so I will need to find a place that I can try them on.

/ Safety Gear #10  
My Stihl helmet has a knob -- as I recall they had two price levels of helmets when I bought 4-5 years ago.

I do think Labonville makes the best chaps. I own a pair of the full wraps and have been pleased with them -- very tough. After time they become very comfortable, and give some extra warmth in cold weather.

Really, the only difference between regular and full wrap is in the ankle area, where full wraps go around back for extra protection.

I have looked into dedicated chainsaw boots, and they all seem heavy and uncomfortable. So far my aluminum-toe Irish Setters have been a good boot, though they won't stop a saw other than the toe box (and even that won't last for long).

You will find that chaps aren't necessarily manageable in real hot weather, so start to think about what's more dangerous -- chainsaw or dehydration. I can pretty much tell where the tipping point is. In real warm weather, I will wear chaps over shorts only as long as needed for cutting, then take them off for other work.