Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #1  

PandDLong

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3540, JD Z445 Mower, JD LX188 Lawn Tractor
Somewhere my Z445 has an electrical problem. Before the mowing season, I had a "no start" problem to fix and the Forum was invaluable in helping me solve it and I learned a lot about the safety switch logic (but obviously not enough).

First, it won't start as the solenoid doesn't have a ground - a problem somewhere in the switches. If I bypass the switches entirely, it starts fine. (I also found that if a run a lead from the battery -'ve to the seat switch exit, it starts fine too).

But then, I can't do anything. If I take off the brake, it dies. As a test, I've tried the other parts linked to a safety switch (left and right hand control levers, PTO) - they all work in that as soon as I try to do anything it cuts off the motor running. It seems to behave as though no-one is in the seat, but I've tested that switch and it is fine.

My amateur sleuthing seems to point towards a bad connection "upstream" from the seat switch (I say that as bypassing the seat switch doesn't enable a start, but connect the exit of the switch to the battery ground does enable a start). But not sure.

My questions are:

1. Does the safety switch mechanism for the fuel solenoid work the same way as starting - i.e. it forms the ground?

2. Can I run a lead from the battery 've to the fuel solenoid and bypass the switches all together (I've looked at it but the wiring is not as simple as the starter solenoid and I don't want to risk wrecking it with my lack of knowledge)?

3. Anyone know the sequence of the safety switches (a detailed wiring diagram with wire colours would be ideal)?

4. Any other suggestions?

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #2  
Rules on the forums prohibit info on these kind of fixes, i can't help, i'd have to take it to the dealer or call & let them walk me through it.
Good luck,
Ronnie

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #3  
Update us on the "rules of the forum" that prohibit helping here. Thanks...

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #4  
In general, safety switches will be wired in one of two ways. In a "closed loop", each safety switch must be closed for the equipment to operate, the switches are connected in series like a string of old fashioned Christmas tree lights (yeah, from many years ago) where if one bulb burned out, all the lights went out. In the closed loop, all the switches must be closed and the wiring from one to another intact, in order that they will apply either a ground or positive to the intended terminal that allows operation. Most safety and interlock systems are wired in this manner as it is more fail safe, a open switch or a broken wire will shut down the equipment.

In an open loop system, all the switches would be connected in parallel. If any switch closes, the device stops working. Note, though, that a broken or open wire, or a failed open switch would not be detected, nor would activation of that bad switch shut down the equipment. So, assuming that you indeed have a closed system, you can start by removing switches from the circuit by shorting it's terminals. But, if there is more than one bad switch or a broken wire, shorting one at a time will not locate the problem. If multiple switches are bad, you would need to short all of them or until the problem goes away. Then remove one short at a time to find the bad switches. This doesn't help if the wiring is bad.

To find and fix a bad wire, you will either need a schematic, or trace the wires out and bypass a suspected bad wire with a temporary length of wire. In practice, it is easier to use a voltmeter. If you are working with a system that opens a ground or negative, then connect one lead of the meter to positive battery and use the other lead to find out where you lose the ground in your series circuit.

The opposite applies for a system that switches positive off - connect a meter lead to chassis ground or negative battery, then use the positive lead of the meter to locate where you are losing the 12 volts.

How to tell which type you have is easy, one terminal on the solenoid valve (or whatever the cut-off is) will have a constant ground or positive (assuming switch on). Whichever polarity is constant, the opposite is being used for the safety switch circuit.

Sounds confusing, but it's not really, the hardest part is finding stuff and tracing wires. There are relatively inexpensive wire tracers out there (Fox and Hound etc) than inject a tone on a wire and allow you to locate it in a bundle of wires etc. But, a schematic is best.

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #5  
I think I see a service manual on eBay, which would help...

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #6  
Rules on the forums prohibit info on these kind of fixes, i can't help, i'd have to take it to the dealer or call & let them walk me through it.
Good luck,
Ronnie

Where, exactly?

TractorByNet.com Forum Rules & terms of Use

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and terms of use detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please check the 'I agree' checkbox and press the 'Register' button below. If you would like to cancel the registration, click here to return to the forums index.

AGREEMENT BETWEEN USER AND TRACTORBYNET.COM This Web site is offered to you, the user, conditioned on your acceptance without modification of the terms, conditions, and notices contained herein. Your use of this Web site constitutes your agreement to all such terms, conditions, and notices.

PERSONAL AND NON-COMMERCIAL USE LIMITATION This Web site is for your personal and non-commercial use. You may not modify, copy, distribute, transmit, display, perform, reproduce, publish, license, create derivative works from, transfer, or sell any information, software, products or services obtained from this Web site.

COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARK NOTICES: All contents of this Web site are: Copyright ゥ IMC Digital Universe and/or its suppliers, P.O. Box 845, Carlsbad, California, 92018 USA. All rights reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website without the prior consent of TractorByNet.com is strictly prohibited.

Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Case, International Harvester, Kioti, Mahindra, Cub Cadet, Power Trac, Bobcat and any other trademark mentioned in the content of TractorByNet.com are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective owners.

TractorByNet is a trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc.

LIABILITY DISCLAIMER THE INFORMATION AND SERVICES PUBLISHED ON THIS WEB SITE MAY INCLUDE INACCURACIES OR TYPOGRAPHICAL ERRORS. CHANGES ARE PERIODICALLY ADDED TO THE INFORMATION HEREIN. IMC DIGITAL UNIVERSE AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAY MAKE IMPROVEMENTS AND/OR CHANGES IN THIS WEB SITE AT ANY TIME.

IMC DIGITAL UNIVERSE AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY OF THE INFORMATION AND SERVICES CONTAINED ON THIS WEB SITE FOR ANY PURPOSE. ALL SUCH INFORMATION AND SERVICES ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. IN NO EVENT SHALL IMC DIGITAL UNIVERSE AND/OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH THE USE OF THIS WEB SITE OR WITH THE DELAY OR INABILITY TO USE THIS WEB SITE, OR FOR ANY INFORMATION AND SERVICES OBTAINED THROUGH THIS WEB SITE, OR OTHERWISE ARISING OUT OF THE USE OF THIS WEB SITE, WHETHER BASED ON CONTRACT, TORT, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF IMC DIGITAL UNIVERSE OR ANY OF ITS SUPPLIERS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGES. BECAUSE SOME STATES/JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, THE ABOVE LIMITATION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.

NO UNLAWFUL OR PROHIBITED USE As a condition of your use of this web site, you warrant to TractorByNet.com that you will not use this web site for any purpose that is unlawful or prohibited by these terms, conditions, and notices.

LINKS TO THIRD PARTY OR ADVERTISER WEB SITES This Web site may contain hyperlinks to web sites operated by parties other than IMC Digital Universe. Such hyperlinks are provided for your reference only. IMC Digital Universe does not control such web sites, and is not responsible for their contents. IMC Digital Universeç—´ inclusion of hyperlinks to such web sites does not imply any endorsement of the material on such web sites or any association with their operators.

USE OF DISCUSSION FORUM, CHAT ROOMS, PRIVATE MESSAGING, AND OTHER COMMUNICATIONS FORUMS ON TRACTORBYNET.COM If this web site contains discussion forums, chat rooms, or other message or communication facilities (collectively, "Forums"), you agree to use the Forums only to send and receive messages and material that are proper and related to the particular Forum. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using a Forum, you shall not do any of the following:

1. Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others.
2. Publish, post, distribute or disseminate any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information.
3. Publish, post, distribute, or disseminate any material or information that is untrue, false, or inaccurate.
4. Post under multiple identities and/or names.
5. Upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy of publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents.
6. Upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer.
7. Delete any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file that is uploaded.
8. Falsify the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded.
9. Advertise, offer to sell any goods or services, conduct or forward surveys, contests, or chain letters, or post links to 3rd party websites, without the permission of TractorByNet.com.
10. "SPAM" or in any way solicit other members to join any e-mail list, website, discussion forum or subscription.
11. Download any file posted by another user of a Forum that you know, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
12. Share any private message communication with another member, or post any such communications on any other website, discussion forum, or share any such communication via e-mail.

TractorByNet.com has the right to delete, edit, or decline to publish any information provided by those accessing the site at any time and for any reason or that TractorByNet.com in its sole discretion deems to be unacceptable.

By using TractorByNet.com, you agree to indemnify and hold harmless TractorByNet.com, its partners, parent companies, and affiliates from all claims, demands, obligations, liabilities, suits and proceedings, (including claims for defamation, trade disparagement, privacy and intellectual property infringement) and damages (including attorneys fees and costs) arising in connection with information posted on the web site and Discussion Forum, or submitted by the User.

By submitting items to TractorByNet.com for inclusion in the website, and its Discussion Forums, the user grants TractorByNet.com a royalty free, irrevocable license under all intellectual property rights (including copyright) to use, copy, distribute, sublicense, display, perform and prepare derivative works based on those items.

You acknowledge that chats, postings, conferences, and other communications by other users are not endorsed by TractorByNet.com, and such communications shall not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet.com reserves the right for any reason to remove without notice any contents of the Forums received from users, including without limitation discussion forum postings. TractorByNet.com reserves the right to deny in its sole discretion any user access to this Web site or any portion thereof without notice.

MODIFICATION OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS IMC Digital Universe reserves the right to change the terms, conditions, and notices under which this Web site is offered at any time and without notice.

PRICES, ADVICE, INFORMATION TractorByNet.com does not warrant or guarantee accuracy or suitability of any of the content contained on this website. Tractorbynet.com and itç—´ officials do not authorize the use of such information for any purpose other than your personal use, and prohibit to the maximum extent allowable the resale, redistribution, and use of this information for commercial purposes.

Under no circumstances will TractorNyNet.com be liable to the user or any third party for any damages, costs, lost profits or lost opportunity, or indirect, special, consequential, incidental or punitive damages, based upon use of information posted on the website or edited by Tractorbynet.com even if Tractorbynet.com has been advised of the possibility of such injuries.

The author, IMC Digital Universe and Tractorbynet.com shall have neither liability for, nor responsibility to, any person or entity with respect to any loss or damage caused or alleged to be caused directly or indirectly by the information contained on this website and discussion boards.

We disclaim all liability for these matters. Further, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from all claims, damages, and expenses (including, without limitation, attorneys' fees) relating to the development, operation, maintenance, and contents of this site and Discussion Board.

You agree to absolve TractorByNet.com of any and all liability arising out of your use of this website.

If you do not agree with the terms stated above, you should exit this website now!

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #7  
Rock,

I also looked at the form rules, read closely and could not find anything that prevented a form user from offering advise to another user.

If I missed that sentence, please highlight it for me and all the other posters.

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #8  
OOPS, that is another forum i'm on:eek: At least bumperm was able to offer some great info.

Ronnie

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #9  
OOPS, that is another forum i'm on:eek: At least bumperm was able to offer some great info.

Ronnie

I wonder if we could figure out which one:laughing:

/ Safety switch challenges - Z445 - how to locate and fix #10  
In some occasions rocking the peddle for the hydro can result in in a cure, reason being that a fine adjustment is slightly off.
. While attempting a start, gently rock the hydro peddle and possibly you will find the 'sweet spot'.