Sagging Sofa

/ Sagging Sofa #1  

MikePA

Super Moderator
Tractor
Had TC25D, now JD X310
We have a sofa that has seen better days but because of sentimental reasons and because I am frugal (more the latter than the former /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I'd like to repair it.

The problem is - It sags in the middle. If someone elderly sits on the middle cushion, I almost need to use the FEL (see, I related it to a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) to get them out.

I've seen folding particle boards that you put under the cushions. Do they work? Is it possible to replace the springs (which seems like a more permanent fix)?

/ Sagging Sofa
We have a sofa that has seen better days but because of sentimental reasons and because I am frugal (more the latter than the former /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) I'd like to repair it.

The problem is - It sags in the middle. If someone elderly sits on the middle cushion, I almost need to use the FEL (see, I related it to a tractor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ) to get them out.

I've seen folding particle boards that you put under the cushions. Do they work? Is it possible to replace the springs (which seems like a more permanent fix)?

/ Sagging Sofa #5  
If it's really a valuable/sentimental piece you could have it reupholstered. Once it's opened up, the springs could be replaced if necessary. Important consideration will be the condition of the frame.

Norm (New Yankee Workshop) did an upholstered chair recently. It was interesting for me as I didn't know much about it but I also learned that it's not something I would mess with right now.

For a quick fix, how about a sheet of ply or masonite between the cushions and the base? Worth a try anyway, and it won't take much time or money /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Sagging Sofa #6  
If it's really a valuable/sentimental piece you could have it reupholstered. Once it's opened up, the springs could be replaced if necessary. Important consideration will be the condition of the frame.

Norm (New Yankee Workshop) did an upholstered chair recently. It was interesting for me as I didn't know much about it but I also learned that it's not something I would mess with right now.

For a quick fix, how about a sheet of ply or masonite between the cushions and the base? Worth a try anyway, and it won't take much time or money /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Sagging Sofa #7  
As the on of an upholsterer, here is my 2 cents. Under the cushion area in most furniture, there are long springs that that make continuous "S" curves. They are usually placed so that they curve upward slightly and they are lashed together along their lenght to keep them close together. One of two things may have happened. The cord holding them together has come apart and they have spread apart causing to not have the lift they one had, or you simply have a broken spring of two.

/ Sagging Sofa #8  
As the on of an upholsterer, here is my 2 cents. Under the cushion area in most furniture, there are long springs that that make continuous "S" curves. They are usually placed so that they curve upward slightly and they are lashed together along their lenght to keep them close together. One of two things may have happened. The cord holding them together has come apart and they have spread apart causing to not have the lift they one had, or you simply have a broken spring of two.

/ Sagging Sofa #9  
I haven't even talked to any furniture upholstery shops in many years, but in 1969, I bought a recliner on sale at Montgomery Wards for $99; imitation leather (plastic?) upholstery. In 1977, it had some cracks in the upholstery and I paid $150 to have it re-upholstered with a good quality cloth fabric. It was still my favorite chair when I gave it away when I retired in 1989. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif At least in my case, a good upholstery shop made it much better than new.

/ Sagging Sofa #10  
I haven't even talked to any furniture upholstery shops in many years, but in 1969, I bought a recliner on sale at Montgomery Wards for $99; imitation leather (plastic?) upholstery. In 1977, it had some cracks in the upholstery and I paid $150 to have it re-upholstered with a good quality cloth fabric. It was still my favorite chair when I gave it away when I retired in 1989. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif At least in my case, a good upholstery shop made it much better than new.