Salt spreader time

/ Salt spreader time #1  

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU
For the past few years I have been using a 1.8 yard V box salt spreader in the back of our dump truck. These type of sanders take a beating and are a continuous battle with maintence. Some of the problems are imposed by the people who load it with material ( salt ) .. The local yards use a 3 yard loader and inevitability make a mess. I have already installed a rear extension that helps keep the salt from landing on the motor cover.now im thinking about installing side flaps that slope down from the top of the sanders to the sided of the dump body. Has anyone done this ? What material did you use ?

/ Salt spreader time #2  
Dont ya love it?????

You would thnk they have brains enough to use an auger for smaller trucks.

I bet they sell coal in bulk too.

Most folks use old/used conveyor belting to do that and it will work well for you.
It just takes time to assemble and install as you need 2 pieces of drilled flatstock
(four in total) for each piece of conveyor belt to make a sandwich of
flat stock- conveyor belt then flatstock and a place to mount the flat stock on the
upper lip of the spreader.

OH, and plan on using grade 8 fine threaded bolts and nuts
(no washers)with red loctite to hold it there.

You ought to look at the largest VICON poly hopper spreader when the time
comes to replace it as they are much less work and operate in
a better fashion with a pendulum spreading method that
saves material.

You could power it using a fly wheel clutch engine with a reduction gear to obtain 540 rpm.

/ Salt spreader time #3  
The side flaps do a great job of saving the dump body from more rot. I made up some cheap plywood sides with piano hinges bolted to the sander body and plywood, but they teepee'd up to high if you tried to close them. This was on a SS Airflow about 15 years ago. I stopped plowing and sanding many years ago now.

My company has a Fisher poly sander and it seems pretty good. been used at least one year now and not rust or corrosion issues.

/ Salt spreader time
The side flaps do a great job of saving the dump body from more rot. I made up some cheap plywood sides with piano hinges bolted to the sander body and plywood, but they teepee'd up to high if you tried to close them. This was on a SS Airflow about 15 years ago. I stopped plowing and sanding many years ago now.

My company has a Fisher poly sander and it seems pretty good. been used at least one year now and not rust or corrosion issues.

I was thinking about doing something just like that but with diamond plate. ..then I was thinking about how..or if ...I would be able to climb in the bed from the side. Quite often there are big chunks of salt that sit on top of the screens. I usually climb. Up there and toss them off so they don't drop 4x4 frozen cubes on top of the chain.... Those always end up making the sander shudder as it tries to spit them out.

Tractor & Equipment Auctions

2016 Case 335VT Turbo-Till (A33113)
2016 Case 335VT...
4' X9' S/A TRAILER W/GATE, NO TITLE... (A34808)
4' X9' S/A TRAILER...
2024 VICSEC VC15 MINI EXCAVATOR, S/N VC15240733, 13.5 HP ENG, HOUR METER READS 0.1 HRS,......12" ... (A34808)
2024 VICSEC VC15...
2502 PALLET OF 100 T POST (A34733)
2502 PALLET OF 100...
SHOPBILT 16' T/A BUMPERPULL TRAILER, NO TITLE... (A34808)
SHOPBILT 16' T/A...
1056 8300 JOHN DEERE GRAIN DRILL (A34733)
1056 8300 JOHN...