Salty Soil in Hay Fields

/ Salty Soil in Hay Fields #11  
That looks like salt burn. I don't think you can get rid of it easily. Salt burn is a significant problem in the grain belt in West Australia (5000 acres farm and 2000 unusable due to salt).
The way they work around the problem in West Australia is to install drainage to keeep the water table below plant root depth so you can still use the land.
Salt on the surface is caused by a high water table like you describe.

/ Salty Soil in Hay Fields #12  
Alkaline soil. Get it tested and follow recommended procedures.

Attachments

• 620D097F-C981-43B8-BDB3-8D8984BABD70.png
    620D097F-C981-43B8-BDB3-8D8984BABD70.png
    361.6 KB · Views: 71
   / Salty Soil in Hay Fields #13  
I remember seeing this problem on an episode of Ag PhD with brothers Brian and Darren Hefty, farmers in the Sioux Falls South Dakota area.

It requires a long term fix that begins with pattern tiling the area with lots of tile. The water table must be lowered to begin addressing the problem.

After that, it was soil sampling and amending for several years to erase the problem that most likely began decades ago.

That's what I remember about the show. I have no practical experience.

/ Salty Soil in Hay Fields #14  
Dealing with salt-affected areas in your hay fields can be a complex and challenging task. Despite trying various methods to address the issue, the water table's proximity continues to bring salt to the surface, making it difficult for grass to thrive in these areas. While applying "liquid Chisel" aims to reduce the salt ratio, you have doubts about its effectiveness. Considering the persistence of the problem, the option of removing the top layer of soil and replacing it with touchcric live fresh topsoil may provide a temporary solution, but the issue could resurface with the water table's fluctuation.

Last edited: