Sand Point well GPM

/ Sand Point well GPM #1  

MNBobcat

Platinum Member
The standard size well pipe for a sand point is 1 1/4" and is good up to 20 - 25 feet deep. Anything deeper, you have to go to 2". I have a hydraulic post pounder so installing either size is a piece of cake.

I'm only going about 15 feet deep. Does anyone know if I would get a higher flow rate (GPM) with a 2" versus a 1 1/4" or is the limiting factor strictly the amount of water in ground? I need to get the highest GPM I can and am trying to decide what size well to punch.

/ Sand Point well GPM #2  
The surface area going from a 1 1/4 to a 2" pipe is about a 62% gain. Seems like the way to go?

/ Sand Point well GPM #3  
What we have done is put in 2 points, about 20 feet apart. They are connected underground, with check valves. We used a Jet pump. We never ran out of water.

/ Sand Point well GPM #4  
If the 2" has more screen lines cut into it you have the potential of more gpm. But if there's no water down there nothing will help.

If you have plenty of water available then you should be able to get a lot of gpm from a standard 1.25" pipe.

I have a 15ft shallow well that is at least as fast as a good city water connection.

Also if using a large pressure tank you wouldn't have much wait time.

/ Sand Point well GPM #5  
Doesn't underground flow dictate it? I don't think pipe size is restrictions flow.

/ Sand Point well GPM #6  
The standard size well pipe for a sand point is 1 1/4" and is good up to 20 - 25 feet deep. Anything deeper, you have to go to 2". I have a hydraulic post pounder so installing either size is a piece of cake.

I'm only going about 15 feet deep. Does anyone know if I would get a higher flow rate (GPM) with a 2" versus a 1 1/4" or is the limiting factor strictly the amount of water in ground? I need to get the highest GPM I can and am trying to decide what size well to punch.

It all depends on how much water is down there and how well you install the well. There can be all the water in the world but if the well isn't properly installed the size of the pipe won't matter.

2" will make much more water than 1.25" pipe but is much harder to install if you're pounding it down. Also, with a 2" well you can use a foot valve. With 1.25" pipe you have to connect the suction line directly to the well point and use a check valve on the surfac.e

/ Sand Point well GPM #7  
They do make smaller foot valves but on mine the check valves right at the pump and has held vacuum for long periods of time.

/ Sand Point well GPM #8  
I have inch quarter, never lose prime, even though in winter I may not got up for over a month. Usually every other weekend.

/ Sand Point well GPM
What we have done is put in 2 points, about 20 feet apart. They are connected underground, with check valves. We used a Jet pump. We never ran out of water.

I did that on another part of my property. I have 6 sand points ( 1 1/4") all plumbed together in an "H" pattern.

/ Sand Point well GPM
It all depends on how much water is down there and how well you install the well. There can be all the water in the world but if the well isn't properly installed the size of the pipe won't matter.

2" will make much more water than 1.25" pipe but is much harder to install if you're pounding it down. Also, with a 2" well you can use a foot valve. With 1.25" pipe you have to connect the suction line directly to the well point and use a check valve on the surfac.e

Where would the foot valve go on the 2" ?

Pounding down 2" will be a breeze. I have a commercial post pounder. I can pound a 10" diameter post into the ground like nobodies business. :)

I don't understand where the foot valve would go, though. Our frost can go 44 inches deep. Would you put the valve at say 50 inches below ground level?