Satoh Trials and Tribulations

/ Satoh Trials and Tribulations #1  

GoodManners

Tractor
Satoh 650G
I have a mid 70s Satoh 650G. It wasn't running right when I got it and the history was unknown. We had one just like it when I was a kid on the farm - seems smaller now though lol. It would only run on full choke and when under load it would lose rpm and eventually stall out.

I added new coil, new spark plugs, new wires and a new rotor and cap. Plus installed a Pertronix electronic ignition (MA-141). Then I replaced all of the fuel lines and installed a new fuel filter. Everything i replaced looked original to the tractor - all painted orange and very crusty.

Next I added a Solex 30/31 PICT carb from a 70s Volkswagen - a la the Satoh650G website's alternative carburetor page Alternative Carburetor – Satoh-S650G.com It has a few tricks to getting it to run right but VW forums have all the information.

Checked valves and set them all to .010 gap.

She would run but still stall under load. So set the timing as best I could and now it seems to be running pretty solid. It's old and smokes a bit blue but great to have it running.

It has a few leaks (I posted here about a hydraulic leak) but will be a great addition to the acreage.

Next up I need to change the engine oil, and the transmission oil. I have a new boot for the shifter to install and a new steering wheel.

Fun project - keeps me asking lots of questions.

Attachments

• carb1.jpg
    carb1.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 29
   / Satoh Trials and Tribulations #2  
Thanks for the review, keep us posted on all your future endeavors!

/ Satoh Trials and Tribulations
New steering wheel and new boot for shifter. Changed all the fluids - yuk.