Sausage casing help please

/ Sausage casing help please #1  

etpm

Veteran Member
Tractor
yanmar ym2310
In the past, whenever I made sausage links, I used natural casings. Intestine. It works very well. However, I was talking with a woman at our local Eagles Aerie and she said there was no way she would use them. Grossed her out.
She only makes dried sausages, like pepperoni and uses the collagen casings. She convinced me to buy some. I did. Stuffed some sausages too. Once I got used to the collagen stuff things went OK. But when I cook the sausages, breakfast and Italian links, the collagen casings come apart. They end up in the pan looking like snot. Kinda icky. Am I doing something wrong? Should I not be pan cooking collagen skinned sausages?
I am still going to try the collagen casings for dried and smoked sausages. If the smoke will penetrate the collagen casings. If not then collagen for only dried and aged sausages.
Thanks,
Eric

/ Sausage casing help please #2  
Collagen casings are not great for heat and eat sausages. While there is a gross association with gut casings, collagen is just as gross. Boiled cow skin to extract collagen, then extrusion and drying of the tube. For edible casing, I'll take the gut variety.