Saving Money

/ Saving Money #1  

MasseyWV

Elite Member
Tractor
When buying a new or used tractor, how far will you go to save money? Are you a sellers/dealers wet dream or do you fight tooth and nail for every last dime?

/ Saving Money #2  
I refuse to buy new and rareley buy off a dealer ...Spend a big part of my life at auctions :)
Have driven tractors 200 miles home from auctions !

/ Saving Money
I refuse to buy new and rareley buy off a dealer ...Spend a big part of my life at auctions :)
Have driven tractors 200 miles home from auctions !

I'm the same way and avoid dealers at all costs unless I have no other choice. Auctions make me a little nervous because from what I've heard, thats where a lot of people tend to unload their junk. As for driving long distances, I'm currently wrangling with that dilemma myself.

/ Saving Money #4  
When buying a new or used tractor, how far will you go to save money? Are you a sellers/dealers wet dream or do you fight tooth and nail for every last dime?

I fight tooth and nail for the last dime. If I find out that anybody got the same item as I did for less money, I get POed.

JayC

/ Saving Money #5  
Personally, what I really like is big manufacturer rebates. That way we both win!
I got almost 40% off msrp on my car, about 20% off on my atv, but I had them throw in a winch free. I got a pretty good deal on my tractor too, so I didn't haggle much on the extras like the tire loading and the coolant heater. He's got to keep the lights on too.
Auctions for complicated devices scare me as I know that's where I'd send my junk, otherwise I sell stuff privately.
I don't really like negotiating for a long time so I usually just state my price and if they accept or get very close, we have a deal.

/ Saving Money #6  
I was trying to buy a 300hp tractor off a dealer once that was $60'000 firm and he flatly refused offer of $50'000 . 3 months later i found that very tractor on an auction 200 miles away and payed $42'000 for it ..needless to say he was p!$$ed when he knew it was me :)
Theres all sorts at auctions ..some are very genuine . I've had it 8 years now and 4500 hrs later all i have done is replace a starter solenoid and batterys !

/ Saving Money #7  
Pretty much like IndyIan, if the price is fair, I buy and if not I don't. I do conider intangibles such as dealer service, future sales etc., so bottom dollar may not always be the way to go for some of us. When I was younger, tooth and nail, so some of us change for better or worse.

Last edited:
   / Saving Money #8  
when im going to make a deal with a dealer i have pretty much a set price ill pay.all of the dealers around here know that im very hard to deal with on anything.ive only had to walk off on a deal an that was over 23yrs ago.then the owner followed me out complaining to my dad how rough i was.then i walked away on another dealer because a dealer would not come down $200 on a 10ft bushhogg shredder.i bought another new shredder that was junk.the dealer remembered that i walked on out on $200,so when i delt with him he said he didnt want me to walk out so he knocked $300 off.

/ Saving Money #9  
I buy most of my stuff new now because equipment (used) is scarce to non existent. So I do my research and pondering before I go to the dealers with a price in my mind I am willing to pay. I will have a list of all options written down to be included in the deal. When the dealer quotes their price and it is very close to what I am willing to pay we can haggle a little. If we are too far apart I will counter offer with my price, if the dealer takes it fine, if not I leave my card and tell him to think about it. Shake hands and leave.

/ Saving Money #10  
I do alot of research to determine just exactly what has been paid for a particular machine in various parts of the U.S. and Canada. Both new and used. So, before I walk into a dealer's or pick up my bidder's number... I've got a pretty good idea of what a reasonable price is for whatever implement or machine I'm looking to buy.

I'm willing to work for a compromise if the seller is somewhere close to what I'm willing to pay.

But... if they're holding out for the last dollar and aren't willing to consider my "overhead" - walking out the door is just as easy as walking in!

AKfish