Saw a rat in the garage!

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Dark rat, good sized.

Our cat is a good mouser, but I'm not sure he is up to taking on a rat without getting injured himself.

Thought about firing up the leaf blower with the garage door open and trying to chase him out of there. Haven't tried it yet; I am waiting for a phone call I don't want to miss.

So what's the best way to deal with this?

Do they go for peanut butter in traps like mice do?

I moved my bucket mouse trap from the barn to the garage, but I suspect he's too large for that to work.

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #2  
Peanut butter works, or many other things for that matter. I suspect your cat will take care of it. I had some invade out by the kennel this spring, and they really got out of control fast. Had a stray cat show up and instead of my normal method of dealing with stray cats, I let him stick around. No more rats.
Edit: I tried the bucket trick. They're too big. Poison is the best way if you're comfortable using it (dogs).

/ Saw a rat in the garage!
Oops! Not a rat after all! Got a better look, it's squirrel.

Now, how to get rid to that dirty little rat...er, squirrel?

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #4  
Sometimes a flashlight at night works to see their eyes and then use Rat shot or shotgun to finish the job. (outside, of course) Ken Sweet

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #5  
Rats around autos can be a real PITA.

Our garage in SC is too cluttered for its intended purpose, so we park our vehicles outside. On our return from a two-week trip to our farm in NC, we drove our Honda Pilot (which had been parked outside in SC) to town. When turning on the AC, we heard a vibration from the fan. The next day a terrible odor emanated from the vents. We smelled a rat -- figuratively and literally.

It took about a month to get rid of all the odor.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Saw a rat in the garage! #6  
A fellow I worked with in the seventies stored his race car in the garage and did not drive it much. He decided to drive it to work one morning. He started out and something came from under the dash and started up his pants leg. He said he clamped both hands around the leg to stop the rats advancement and at the same time locked up the brakes and stopped in the middle of the road, bailed out, dropped his pants and removed the rat. When he got to work, we saw where the rat had scratched him up pretty bad on his leg. We ragged him about that for months. Ken Sweet

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #7  
Have heart trap..peanut butter on bread..once caught take ride to the country let the booger go...you'll might surprise what else maybe caught in the mean time.

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #8  
my GFs dad parked his T-Bird in their garage & hopped in to go get something found a stray cat, it bit him on foot when he was in revers pulling out. He took off the gas meter from the side of the house & scratched up the car & got one heck of a bites all over his leg & up claw marks all way up his leg.

mark

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #9  
long tailed limb rat = squirrel.... .22 or .17hmr ... your choice :thumbsup:

/ Saw a rat in the garage! #10  
A squirrel is unlikely to cause any problems. They live in trees (or attics :) ) not garages.