Sawmill. What do I need to know.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #11  
It's a fact, logs aren't worth near as much to sell, as all the added value you get by milling them, that's why they buy them!

Kiln dried lumber picks up a lot of moisture back, by the time you use it, and it doesn't take long to get construction lumber to 20%, air drying it. That's about where kiln dried lumber is, by the time you get it!

As for uniform, tune your mill up and properly stack it, and it will be uniform... Truth is, I don't mind nailing it up green, and it comes out just fine...

SR

I've found the exact opposite to be true. You can buy what you need, and not have a lot of leftover lumber which you may or may not need.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #12  
May just want to look at local saw mills. My local one charges $0.40/ board foot. I have access to old green treated power poles. A 8x8 24ft long is going to run only about $50. The only kicker is they charge $50 each time they hit metal. I'm planning on getting a good metal detecting wand, about $120+ on Amazon. Any suggestions on a good brand. I'm thinking any metal in a power pole will be close to the surface.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #13  
Hey a lot of it depends on what you want to use the timber for if you want big slabs or wide boards for cladding a band mill works best but if you want timber for general around the farm projects framing fence rails etc one of these swing saws work real good much faster cutting for less work portable enough that you can take it to the log and cut in place but if you have a decent tractor most people would bring the log to the mill the only real down side is not being good to wide boards the bigger swing saws cut 10 inch wide but they get pricey at that size what I have done with the little one is cut a load of dimension timber off the top until I get to just shy of the middle of the log then roll the log over and cut from the top again so I end up with one wide slab per log plus a load of 2 x 6, 2 x 4 or whatever
Junior Peterson - Small Sawmill with Big Features by Peterson Sawmills

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know.
caver, I'm sure it is labor intensive but I don't mind the work. And it has to be easier than the Alaska mill. That sucker is work!

newbury, I've got plenty of straps and chains. Son-in-law has cant hooks. I've got a good sized open tractor shed. I'd have to move a few implements out but that's no big deal.

Humid. Around here? ;-)

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #15  
Except that you can sell the logs and put the money toward building materials. While I would like to have something for sawing out small jobs and specialty lumber, there's something to be said for framing with kiln dried, uniform lumber.

Exactly and rough saw lumber isn’t worth a lot for building. It’s fine for a shed or something but it won’t pass building code for house or well anything that has to be inspected. I’d like to have a sawmill but it’s really not cost effective for me.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #16  
caver, I'm sure it is labor intensive but I don't mind the work. And it has to be easier than the Alaska mill. That sucker is work!

newbury, I've got plenty of straps and chains. Son-in-law has cant hooks. I've got a good sized open tractor shed. I'd have to move a few implements out but that's no big deal.

Humid. Around here? ;-)

The work is dealing with the log getting it on the mill and turning it and then taking the slabs and limber off. Green lumber is way heavier and that is something I never thought about. Pushing the carriage through (with a fresh blade) is the easy fun part. I keep mine outside year round but it would be nice to build a shed but I've moved the thing a dozen times since I bought it years ago. Having a tractor helps with log handling but I envy those guys with the hydraulic machines and log turners. I have a Peavey and cant hook so was reluctant to spend the $$ on a good Peavey but those guys on Forestry Forum are right in that Log-Rite makes a NICE one.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #17  
I have been impressed with Norwood mills, so check them out. I feel like WoodMizer is the best, but they are also the most pricey.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #18  

Humid. Around here? ;-)

You also are losing a lot of wood to the chain kerf. I've been looking at the budget brand by Hud-Son Portable Budget Sawmill | Cheap Sawmills. If I bought one however, it would be without the gimmick paint job.

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #19  
One thing to keep in mind is the waste. Squaring up a log to produce lumber leaves a lot of pieces that can't be used. Even more if the tree isn't straight. When you talk to small mill owners, getting rid of all that wood is a consideration. The sawdust can do a lot of accumulating also. Sounds like an interesting project.

I had a portable sawmill come to me and mill nine logs. I have well over 375 board feet of walnut and 350 board feet of oak. As a small hobbyist cabinet maker it looks like a lifetime supply to me.

Doug in SW IA

/ Sawmill. What do I need to know. #20  
Exactly and rough saw lumber isn’t worth a lot for building. It’s fine for a shed or something but it won’t pass building code for house or well anything that has to be inspected. I’d like to have a sawmill but it’s really not cost effective for me.

Not so in some States, including Tennessee. I got together with my local legislator and got a law passed for this State that allows the use of sawmill lumber in residential construction.

effective 05/23/2016:

SENATE BILL 822
By Bailey
HOUSE BILL 978
By
Hill M
AN ACTto amend Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 5; Title 6; Title 43, Chapter 28, Part 3 and Title 68, Chapter 120, relative to native species lumber.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF TENNESSEE:
SECTION 1.
Tennessee Code Annotated, Title 43, Chapter 28, Part 3,is amended by adding the following as a new, appropriately designated section:
(a) This sectionshall be known and may be cited as the “Tennessee Native Species Lumber Act.”
(b)
As used in this section:
(1) “Agricultural building” means any structure used primarily for agricultural purposes or for forest product production;
(2) “Commercial sawmill” means any type of sawmill that produces lumber for sale;
(3) “End user” means any person who purchases native lumber from a commercial sawmill for the purpose of residential construction;
(4) “Grader” means the owner of a commercial sawmill, or the owner’s designated employee, who has visually inspected each piece of lumber; and
(5) “Native timber” means any hardwood or softwood species growingwithin the borders of this state.
(c) (1) The operator of any commercial sawmill may, when requested by the end user of the native lumber, certify in writing to the purchaser that the quality and safe working stresses of the lumber are equal to or better than No. 2 grade, in accordance with the conditions set forth in the American Softwood Standard PS 20–70 of the United States department of commerce, as amended; provided, that the minimum grade of lumber use din load-bearing wall members shall be stud grade.
(2) The certification provided pursuant to subdivision (c)(1) shall includeA) The name of the wood species; (B) The quantity of wood certified;(C) The location where the wood is to be used;
(D) Whether or not the wood is seasoned; (E) The name of the commercial sawmill where the wood was cut; (F) The name of the grader; and(G) The date on which the wood was cut at the commercial sawmill and graded.
(3)
(A) Upon the request of the local building official, the end user shall provide written certification of the quality and safe working stresses of the native lumber provided by the commercial sawmill operator pursuant to subdivision (c)(1),as part of the building permit application.
(B) The certification provided pursuant to subdivision (c)(3)(A) shall be accepted by code officials in lieu of any grade stamp requirements.
(d) Any person who uses the native timber harvested from and used entirely on the person’s own property shall, if required, certify that the lumber meets the requirements of any building codes
(e) No certification of native lumber shall be required in the construction of an agricultural building.

SECTION 2. This act shall take effect upon becoming a law, the public welfare requiring it.