Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #251  
^^^^^
That's a nice building. I'll bet that pine sawed a bit easier than the hemlock, also.

i think that by sawing from the large end rather than the small end, I will get some short boards from each log which I have been tossing into the slab pile.
Some of my short boards as you say, get cut into stickers. I have cut from either end depending how the logs are on the bunk pile. But I do cut small end first when the butt end maybe too big for the mill. Jon

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #252  
Lol, yeah that pretty little diagram that we've all seen years of how you get everything little inch of Lumber out of a log went "out the window" real fast for me too.😆
I've only sawn hemlock.... until last week. I had one last wall that needed 1x for siding and I decided to cut one of my Red pines that had a pretty good scar from the last logging operation. I topped it @ 62' above the stump cut and there was only about 9" of taper in 62'! That's pretty easy to have in a 30' hemlock.
View attachment 765723
This back wall is against the woods and can't be seen without a walk so I wasn't concerned about it aging differently than the rest (hemlock).

Beautiful building all around !!! When you stain that red pine, if that's what you are going to do, be ready for it to really drink up the juice. Seems like there is no end to what it will soak up. Especially the end grain.

gg

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #253  
Gordon I'm going to let it weather naturally. I figure if I start with a paint or stain, I'll be married to the process forever. Wood that can dry easily from both sides like this building along with very generous overhangs all the way around should have no problems for a long time.
At least that's what I'm telling myself. :D

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #254  
Finally up and running ! The mill runs smooth as silk. It started on the second pull. I still have to buy a battery . Feels pretty good for height so I am glad that worked out well . The whole machine feels pretty solid.

20221010_151739.jpg
20221010_151847.jpg

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #255  
One thing on my "to do" list is set up a laser pointer for the scale...

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #256  
I have tried the laser, but I am in very bright sun so it fades out in a couple of feet. Maybe this winter and on cloudy days it might work. If I had a shed it would be great, and maybe help me to stop trying to shorten the log stops :)

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
help me to stop trying to shorten the log stops
Do you mean that I'm not the only one who keeps trying that? It seems like every time that I do, I need to put on a new blade. I guess they don't make em like they used to. :D

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #258  
I have tried the laser, but I am in very bright sun so it fades out in a couple of feet. Maybe this winter and on cloudy days it might work. If I had a shed it would be great, and maybe help me to stop trying to shorten the log stops :)
Did that once and yes needed a new blade. Then I correlate the scale with the slots in the log stops. Works for my Timbery sawmill. Jon

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #259  
Finally back onto the sawmill shed project, got the roof up over the weekend and started framing the enclosed areas.

ms1.jpg

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
^^^^
Nice! It looks like mine will be taken apart and put away for the winter. I have too many other projects which need to be done before a shelter for the mill.