Scag ZCat throwing belt

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt #1  

sodamo

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS XR4140H (Mine) BX2380 (wife’s)
As title says, SCAG ZCat, with 36in deck is throwing the deck belt.

Nothing I see as obvious. Basically will throw within minutes of starting to mow. I thought I might have heard something of a click just prior to this last time. Grass was dry, going downslope, grass neither very tall or dense (actually quite light compared to sometimes).

Not the first time of course, but usually hours in between, but not now.
Spindles seem ok, but center one needed grease.
Belt was nearly new, maybe 5 hours,
PTO clutch braking premature on its own?
Alignment issue?

Open to suggestions.

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt #2  
As title says, SCAG ZCat, with 36in deck is throwing the deck belt.

Nothing I see as obvious. Basically will throw within minutes of starting to mow. I thought I might have heard something of a click just prior to this last time. Grass was dry, going downslope, grass neither very tall or dense (actually quite light compared to sometimes).

Not the first time of course, but usually hours in between, but not now.
Spindles seem ok, but center one needed grease.
Belt was nearly new, maybe 5 hours,
PTO clutch braking premature on its own?
Alignment issue?

Open to suggestions.

I'll be watching this for information.
I bought a new 48" SCAG Liberty Z last year.
Have you tried asking your dealer about the belt issue?

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt #3  
This is one of those things you just have to get into. A more common issue would go back to the tensioner arm binding and being able to travel easily. So take the belt tension off and get a feel for things.

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt
Tensioner arm seems to work freely. Wonder if maybe the spring has weakened?

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt #5  
Check alignment of the pulleys too. Seems you did say this was happening here and there. Bent pulley arm? Worn bearing.

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt #6  
My 60 inch Scag Wildcat is doing the same thing. The first time I turn on the mower, it might or might not happen. If it happens, I put the belt back on and it's good for the rest of the day, no matter how many times I turn it off and on again. If it works the first time, I'm also good for the rest of the day.

I sort of dealt with it last year with the plan of buying a new belt this year. The belt isn't that old, so I hate wasting money on a new belt if that's not the issue. My dealer acts like I'm the only one that it's ever happened to.

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt #7  
My 60 inch Scag Wildcat is doing the same thing. The first time I turn on the mower, it might or might not happen. If it happens, I put the belt back on and it's good for the rest of the day, no matter how many times I turn it off and on again. If it works the first time, I'm also good for the rest of the day.

I sort of dealt with it last year with the plan of buying a new belt this year. The belt isn't that old, so I hate wasting money on a new belt if that's not the issue. My dealer acts like I'm the only one that it's ever happened to.

Isn't that strange that your problem happens to be one that the dealer never had happen to anyone? Seems every warranty problem I ever have turns out to be one of those 'first time' situations. I guess I just happen to be one of those unlucky ones.

/ Scag ZCat throwing belt
Strange indeed, Eddie.