school of shifting :-)

/ school of shifting :-) #11  
Lowest possible gear and keep your foot off the clutch pedal and certainly don't slip it. I have hydraulic shuttles on both mine and I never touch the clutch pedal, always the shuttle lever.

/ school of shifting :-) #12  
My best advise is don't dig with a loader bucket. Spinning and digging those wheels in is putting huge stresses on the loader arms. If you're gonna dig, start a Gofundme to repair your loader.

/ school of shifting :-) #13  
hopping with MFWD engaged
OK, help out one of your slower readers here. What is "MFWD"? I get the "FWD" but what is the "M"?

/ school of shifting :-) #15  
Kind of like all wheel drive vs 4wd in tractors.
Mechanical
Front
Wheel
Drive
Thanks!
So, it's not "four wheel drive"?
What is the alternative to "mechanical" in this context?
Unlike cars, there are no "front wheel drive only" tractors, or tractors with AWD, are they?
You've got me curious now. I thought it was just rear, or rear+front, and maybe a differential lock or two.

/ school of shifting :-) #16  
Thanks!
Unlike cars, there are no "front wheel drive only" tractors, or tractors with AWD, are they?
You've got me curious now. I thought it was just rear, or rear+front, and maybe a differential lock or two.
I’m not 100% sure, I know it has something to do with how the tractor has four wheels Turing that are two different sizes (front vs back). One is a lot more like front wheel assist and the other one will literally grind your tires down if your on pavement which I think is the MFWD.

/ school of shifting :-)
I am also a newbie but I will take a stab at it. The front wheels drive when the switch is thrown that engages them. I also think the amount of drive is probably equal to the weight that is place on them. Since my wheels are weighted I think there will be more driving affect with them unless the load on the front is equal they wont offer as much drive as the rear.
Thats my uneducated guess :cool:

/ school of shifting :-) #18  
Thanks!
You've got me curious now. I thought it was just rear, or rear+front, and maybe a differential lock or . And that is why it is called 4wd.

What 4wd means for compact tractors - and also most 4wd PU trucks - is that there is an operator control that tells the transmission to send power to drive the front axle as well as the rear axle. When the front axle is also powered it is then possible for any of the 4 wheels to be driven...hence: 4wd

But a because each axle has a differential, driving all 4 tires at the same time also requires some way to lock the differentials. So without "lockers" you only get 2 of the 4 driven at any time....but that's another level of complexity.

You also asked what is the alternative to "mechanical". It is "hydraulic" - drive via a fluid motor in the axle or hub instead of by driveshaft and gears. MFWD vs HFWD.

HDFD and AWD is not nearly so common as 4wd via MFWD in the under-100 hp tractors.

However, MFWD is simple and relatively cheap to manufacture since the invention of the front bevel drive - about 1975. The big downside to 4wd MFWD is that it is a part time traction improvement for getting through difficult places & not for using full time. 4wd is not AWD; it lacks the necessary center differential that all AWD have.

There are a few compact tractor sized AWD full time true 4wd tractors with Hydraulic Front Wheel Drive instead of MFWD. The Bobcat Toolcat is one, the USA made Ventrac is another. Both excellent, not too common, and relatively expensive. Also you will find that type of hydraulic drive on larger European tractors and big construction machines like skip loaders.

Hope this helps,
rScotty

/ school of shifting :-)
Well put and easy to understand :cool:

/ school of shifting :-) #20  
All the new pickups that I have ordered I ordered positraction and I
could go where some of the 4x4 pickups were getting stuck with no
problem but I put weight in the truck bed. With the possi both back
wheels would turn and the 4x4's did not have the possi

willy