Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #1  

pharmvet

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford 7710 II FWA, NH TB110 FWA w/ NH 46LB loader, JD 5303 2wd w/ loader
I called about this planter yesterday. It was about 3 hours from me. By chance, a buddy of mine came through there on his way home and picked it up for me today. What is your opinion of this unit? What is the tool bar? Are the additional boxes for insecticide? What is the little wire sticking out of the gear cog just beneath the seed hoppers? Any and all information is most welcomed!!!

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #2  
The 71 planters were one of the best planters of there day. Yetter still builds a version of them today. The boxes are for insecticide. I have seen the wires before on early units and from my understanding they were used like early monitor. If the wire was turning, you know the planter was working.

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #3  
You can get a manual from your friendly local Deere dealer. Btw, what was the price?

The small boxes are insecticide boxes. Plates can be had at Lincoln Ag - they have a website.

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education
Thanks guys. I paid $850 for this unit.

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #5  
The tool bar is the long square piece of tubing painted red that carries the planters and the 3 point hitch interface. You adjust the distance between rows by sliding the planters along the tool bar and clamping in place.
The boxes are for fertilizer. Insecticide is sprayed on crops, not dropped into the soil.
There is a large variety of seed plates for the 71 to handle different size seeds. Google "JD 71 seed plates" for more info.

Good luck.

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #6  
The small boxes were used for granular insectiside to control cutworms and nemitodes. Fertilzer was top dressed. You can plant almost any row crop with the right size plates.

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #7  
The tool bar is the long square piece of tubing painted red that carries the planters and the 3 point hitch interface. You adjust the distance between rows by sliding the planters along the tool bar and clamping in place.
The boxes are for fertilizer. Insecticide is sprayed on crops, not dropped into the soil.
There is a large variety of seed plates for the 71 to handle different size seeds. Google "JD 71 seed plates" for more info.

Good luck.

Actually, those are gandy boxes, for granular insectiside. I think they stopped using the granular stuff in the 70's. The fertilizer boxes are much bigger than the seed box.

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #8  
You can change the seed spacing by swapping the drive sprockets

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education
Looks like the gandy boxes are obsolete . I was thinking of removing them and possibly selling them to cheapen up the planter. Regarding use, does the weight of the planter determine the down pressure, or should you let the lift arms carry some of the weight? Aldo, do you suppose the main purpose of the plow on the tool bar is to keep the planter up for easy hook up? Is it removed during actual use?

/ Scored a John Deere 71 flex planter- need opinions / education #10  
Usually there would be a disk, there, it helps keep the planter tracking. Also it would help in marking the rows, so you could see your progress. The planter should operate with just the down pressure of it's weight. Most tractors don't have down pressure on the 3 point anyway. The press wheel turns and runs a chain there that runs the planter mechanism. I have a model 70, very similar, but it doesn't have the chain tensioner. You got a good buy there, one rows go for 500 to 700 here, sometimes more. Depth can be controlled with depth bands, they are mounted on the press wheel. I hate to say it, but buying a manual is a good idea. I got mine from the local deere dealer, I think it was $30 or so. You might be able to sell the gandy boxes on ebay or something. There seems to be a collector for anything deere, especially in original condition with the logo and so forth.