Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #81  
Funny, the slowest vehicles I see ARE Priuses... yet I’ve always thought that was due to the mindset of the people behind the wheel.
That is probably it. I used to drive a 2nd edition Prius 35 miles each way in rush hour traffic. It was quite nimble, especially after I replaced the factory tires with Pirelli ones.

When traffic permitted, I frequently topped 90 mph and had more room to zoom if needed. Still topped 40 mpg with my assertive driving.

Wife has a Prius Prime. Same basic engine but plugs in for more EV range. Once we are ready to move into the rural location, that gets traded for a truck. Not a problem with the Prius, it has a role to play and excels in its roll.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #82  
Yeah, let’s book a flight on an electric jet. Also, diesel trucks won’t be leaving the scene which transport everything. And, what charges an EV when it dies? A diesel truck w a diesel generator.

EV’s have their place, but not too far from their power sources…

What is in scarce supply is entirely dependent on the local infrastructure. I live on an island; power arrives via multiple submarine cables; gasoline depends on small private ferries for safety reasons. [Diesel can arrive on the (much larger and most-weather) WSF ferries.]

Our Tesla charges anywhere there's an outlet (or going downhill, or being towed). Liquid fuels are handy if you have the infrastructure to deliver them, otherwise not.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #83  
Last summer, I was driving up a 'local hill' and was behind a very slow vehicle, with nowhere to pass. (Read: Toyota Prius drawing a trailer). All I could think, my God, I am so glad that I am not behind a Hybrid or EV truck hauling a full size camper through the Rockies! EV's might just kill the desire to haul any camper!
Towing a trailer up a mountain with either a 4 banger Corolla or a Prius is a bad idea. Seems that dumb people always find a way to be dumb.

For towing, the power delivery of an EV drivetrain is inherently superior to any ICE, the only limitation is how fast and easy it might (not) be to get juice back in the batteries.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #84  
Gas prices today (and diesel) are shameful. Only going to get worse too. The issue with fuel is, it directly impacts everything else like food for instance. The more it costs, the more we pay for transportation of the goods and services we need to survive.

The issue with fuel/oil, is it is a finite supply, we cannot wait another million years to produce more once it has gone.

Electric and hydrogen are alternatives.

So may as well get used to electric as that is what Elon has managed to get traction on, down under we were working on hydrogen.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #85  
Last summer, I was driving up a 'local hill' and was behind a very slow vehicle, with nowhere to pass. (Read: Toyota Prius drawing a trailer). All I could think, my God, I am so glad that I am not behind a Hybrid or EV truck hauling a full size camper through the Rockies! EV's might just kill the desire to haul any camper!

Electric actually is better for pulling loads, this is the vehicle itselfs issue and probably way overloaded.

Trains are all electric. Torque +

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less.
Electric actually is better for pulling loads, this is the vehicle itselfs issue and probably way overloaded.

Trains are all electric. Torque +
Trains are more like a hybrid... diesel powered generator powering an electric motor. That's the way it is here at least... results may vary down under.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #87  
Yes, that is right, they are electric and electric diesel here too, but either way, the work is done by electric.

I like this forum, but so many are really stuck so far in the past it is not funny.

It is idiotic that we have been burning oil for so long frankly, should have been phasing it out long long ago, and I dislike greenies. And am not young really.

It is just a no brainer , the only issue is recharging, and on farms, most of us could be organised to recharge & most of us have the roof space to collect solar & or increase that space and get more water collection too :)

An EV tractor will be a great thing, do away with all these controls companies have now pretty much. Turbo injected diesels are great, while they are new and running well, after that they are costly and troublesome, EV would simplify the tractor again. You could go back to real basics, and no worries about cold weather starts :) Just may need a couple of them, one charging while one is working.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #88  
Ugh, just... ugh.
As my Daddy said back in the late 60's after me getting out of the Army, and I said I was going into computers, "Son, it's a changing world, you can ignore it, you can live with it, or you can use it." I'm not sure where I am with electric vehicles but them damn computers made me a fine living for 50+ years. Guess I'll watch and learn.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #89  
Yeah, pretty much, I can think of many downsides too if I want to pick holes at this stage, but like your dads advice, I will roll with it, prob because I have an electrical background and understand all the aspects.

Electric is not without cost or pollution, people need to ack that, but short to medium & even long term, using the suns energy really is a good idea, and if it runs out nothing will matter anyway.

To be frank, the US and West should keep oil as a backup, backup for war or if we have a nuke winter or other event that reduces what we get from the sun temporarily. I do think that has been the US position for a while, but, EV should be transitioned to ASAP, it is finally happening.

Anyway, the scout probably would be a good thing, if not too expensive.

My only issue with cars or small AWD 4WD vehicles and EV is water, water is bastard where electrics are concerned. The mechanics will remain busy I suspect.

/ Scout by... Volkswagen ?!?!?!? Electric, no less. #90  
My only issue with cars or small AWD 4WD vehicles and EV is water, water is bastard where electrics are concerned. The mechanics will remain busy I suspect.
That doesn't get much attention.

An old guy told me he used to ford the upper Feather River (NorCal) in his Willys Wagon at a well maintained logging truck ford. Had to remove the fan belt, so the the fan wouldn't throw water on his ignition.

Don't try this in your Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.