Scratch Repair

/ Scratch Repair #1  

Bob77064

Elite Member
Tractor
2011 LS R3039
What have you used to remove scratches from painted surfaces?

/ Scratch Repair #2  
New paint if it is a real scratch. Meguiars has a series of fine polishes that if you know how to use them can make swirls disappear.

/ Scratch Repair #3  
Depends on whether you're comfortable with a buffer (not a polisher)..If not, let an experienced detailer take care of it. Depending on how scratched up it is and whether the scratches are into the primer or below the clear, the fix shouldn't be much--depending. Send us some pictures.

/ Scratch Repair
Thanks for the answers. It's just in the clear coat, I might try the Meguiars.

/ Scratch Repair #5  
I use a power buffer and I have a couple of different Maguires polishes. The only place I've found these polishes is at a parts store. Its designed as a "professional" type polish that body shops would use. One is a heavy cut and another is a medimum cut polish. I use a dual action buffer which is a little easier to use and less likely to burn the paint. People are always worried about ruining the paint with a buffer but it really isn't that hard. Even if you don't have a buffer you can do it by hand. It will haze the clear coat but you can bring the shine back with a wax. You will be amazed at how you can get some pretty severe scratches to look much better.

/ Scratch Repair #6  
I use a polisher with a yellow or orange pad and some compound. You want to use the least aggressive stuff necessary. Don't buy stuff from Walmart or most parts stores. It is junk and has fillers in it and over a short period of time your scratch will be back. If you want to use Meguiars you need to use their professional line like Dave mentioned or their detailers line. The best place for you to buy it locally would be at a paint shop. I use personally use 3M.